FEG Hi-power clone

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
1. Do they have magazine disconnector?
2. Are 13/14rd magazines readily available? Where?
3. Are sights interchangeable with standard night sights?

Any general impressions would be appreciated.

blades67

1. I believe they do have the magazine disconnector.

2. They accept standard Hi-Power magazines, so anywhere you can find them.

3. I believe the sights are the same.

SteveC

Makes sure it is the PJK-9

That is the BHP clone (they have other models that are less compatible). As has been pointed out, it has the mag safety, and it takes standard BHP hicaps. You can get the 15 or 17 round SA contract hicaps from CDNN for under $20.

I can't remember precisely about the sites. From what I remember, the PJK is a straight BHP Mk II clone. IIRC the Mk II had fixed front sights and dovetailed rear sights. The rear sights are probably interchangeable - I don't know if FEG dovetailed the front sights ot not.

Steve

Cee-Zed

There is an earlier version, the FEG P9M series. These are more or less direct clones of the Mk I, and they do not have the mag disconnect safety. I am not certain whether or not any of these were ever imported to the U.S. They ceased production before the import restrictions were lifted, but many thousands were made.

In case anyone reads Hungarian:

http://www.fegyver.org

FEG markets a whole bunch of pistols as "High Powers" including pistols that don't have any more relation to a P35 than the cam/barrel lockup style. They also market three different models that have some external and internal similarities to the Hi-Power. Those models (from oldest to newest) are: FP9, PJK-9HP, P9M.

The FP9 has a tall ventilated rib along the slide. The sights aren't dovetailed and it appears to have a disconnect. I've only seen these on the Internet.

The PJK-9HP seems to be closest to a real Hi-Power. It has the small safety, small sights, and lack of firing pin safety typical of commercial production Hi-Powers prior to 1980. It also has the roundel hammer that seems most likely to bite and the humped feed ramp of the older Hi-Powers. Some have reported that later PJK-9HPs have a modified slide release that is similar to a 1911. It does have the magazine disconnector and the front sight is usually staked. I've seen some rear dovetails for sights on these but I don't know if they come stock like that.

The P9M looks externally like a Browning MkII or MkIII but has a different internal lockup system. This is another one I've only seen on the Internet but at least one person has reported on www.fnhipower.com that this had the magazine disconnect. No clue on sights.

All of these should use Browning factory magazines just fine. You may have some trouble with aftermarket magazines since the tolerances on the FEGs are a bit loose and aftermarket mags usually are a bit loose on tolerance too. I've only seen one person reporting trouble with Hi-Power magazines in an FEG - they had purchased some KRD mags that worked fine in their Hi-Power but wouldn't fit into the magwell of their FEG. Factory Browning mags worked fine in the same FEG but were tight.

archer215

i baught a pjk-9hp a few weeks ago it takes all the parts for a hi power except the slide stop mine is the newer version though i baught some hogue grips from a fellow tfl'r and just got them in mail today they fit perfectly im waiting on a fww of the 15 and 17 round mags but everyone says there great but i got 2 13 round hp mags fit perfectly function perfectly i havent took out my mag safety yet as i do carry my gun concealed and dont want a lawyer making a case out of it if i ever had to use it :D

Claywms

Does anyone know what # mainspring the PJK-9BP comes with? Seems a lot lighter than the 32# spring in the FN/Browning. Just curious if anyone knows....I'd GUESS it's about 26# or so.