Feel guilty after a trade?

cornbush

Anybody ever feel guilty after a trade?

Everytime you look at a particular gun you feel like the other guy got the short end of the stick even though they were OK with it?

Edward429451

I felt real guilty after selling my Streetsweeper because it is one of the biggest POS I have ever had the displeasure of owning. I was real up front with him and he seemed ok with it but I know it was still a POS and he was prolly just full of hollywood.

riverwalker76

Why would you feel guilty if they are happy with the deal? Not being critical ... just curious.

Now ... if the guy came back and was ranting about it ... then you might feel guilty. But, if he was happy with the deal then you should be too.

chris in va

Maybe a little. NEF 20ga (loose action), CZ 52...the worst being the AR-7. Absolute junk. But he wanted it so can't feel too bad.

TheNatureBoy

Never! The opposite matter of fact. Friend of mine made two trades with me that he is still upset about. He's the one that initiated the trades and asked me if I was ok with them.

TheGunClinger

I usually get buyers remorse but only for a few minutes when I get to take it out and "Hode" it. Never guilt as it is I who usually on the wrong side of the stick. But if I'm happy and they are happy, wth.:eek::D

By the way, you dont use avatars on this forum?:confused:

Last edited:

m.p.driver

Not guilty but stupid after passing up a deal.My uncles next door neighbor had a double barrel for sale.Her Harry had brought it back from the war,and since had passed away.She wanted to sell off everything including the ram shackle farmhouse she lived in and get a small condo that she didn't have to keep up by herself.I said yes i would look at it but i really wasn't in the market for a shotgun.I pulled out of the closet in its original issued case,manuals,issued ammunition,even the wax seals that had been on the case from the factory.A pristine condition Luftwaffe drilling.She wanted $250 for it and i looked at her and my uncle and against my better judgment told her it was worth substantially more and she needed to get it appraised.It was sold through Butterfield and Butterfield.My uncle said he was proud that i was so honest and what would i have done with it anyway?I told him i would have sat naked in my easy boy at night just cradling and rubbing it.Oh my precious.

EdInk

"Value" is a relative term.

It was a trade. Nobody was forced to do anything they didn't want to do.

And the last poster should have counted his lucky stars and bought the gun. To her it was worth $250. To a collector it's worth alot more. To others it would have been worth nothing. Value is a relative concept. If you felt obliged to may the a little extra that's fine but sometimes you get lucky and need to know when to be quiet. It's like finding an old car rusting a barn. The owner is happy to have it towed away (because to them it's a pile of rust, worth it's weight as scrap) but to you it is a project to restore and worth something.

This isn't like the cop that scammed that old lady for her husband's pistol. It was offered to you. You simply agreed.

YMMV

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I would not participate in a lop-sided trade unless the other party was aware that they were not getting an equal valued item. Honesty invokes no remorse.

If someone offered to trade an item that I was aware was worth more than the item that I had for trade then I would ask them if they were aware that their item was actually more valuable than mine. If they indicated that they were aware and would still like to do the trade then I would happily trade and have no remorse.

Look on the flip side. If you thought that you were getting an equal trade and later discovered that in fact you were not, and the other party KNEW that you were no getting an equal deal and did not tell you, how happy would you be?

Do unto others.

Edward429451

<Why would you feel guilty if they are happy with the deal? Not being critical ... just curious.>

Well, I did make ~160% over what I had in it:p

That was wrong! Streetsweepers are soo much pieces of excrement. He didn't understand that and I did. All he seen was the Hollywood. I priced it based on hollywood and not performance which would've made it worth hmm maybe 100 dollars. He got the short end no matter how you slice it. I feel bad even though I suppose it was legal cuz he said he was satisfied new owner of a (gasp!) Streetsweeper.

cornbush

All values were known, nothing left unsaid.

I'm still trying to decide what to do, I try to be honest in everyhting I do, just eatin at me I guess.

The person involved is very close to me so that might be a big part of it.

Last edited:

EdInk

Just stop it!

You didn't want it. The other guy wanted it.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Stop your bellyaching.

Tell the guy you want to buy it back. I bet he doesn't want to sell it.

Enough crying in your beer.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
All values were known, nothing left unsaid.

I'm still trying to decide what to do, I try to be honest in everyhting I do, just eatin at me I guess.

The person involved is very close to me so that might be a big part of it.

If all the values were known to both parties then I do not understand the dilemna.

Me: Hey, I'd like to trade this DW CBOB for your Glock.

You: Um, ok, but.... That DW is worth like $1000, my Glock is $500....

Me: Yeah, I know, but I really like the Glock better because (blah, blah,) and (blah, blah, blah).

You: Well, ok, if you want to do it then I'm fine with it.

What's the issue with the above scenario? All values were known, the person with the more valuable item wanted to do the trade, nothing was hidden.... nuf said.

CWPinSC

If I told the truth (and I always do) about the condition, then I assume he got what he wanted, and I got what I wanted.

That being said, I also believe in "caveat emptor" always. "Here, look it over and tell me what it's worth to you."

A fair deal is the conclusion between someone who doesn't want to sell and someone who doesn't want to buy.