feed issues with 40s&w 1911 commander

travelerBT

Hello all,

I built a 1911 from scratch, with all the bells and whistles... schuemann barrel, caspian slide and frame etc.

I am having some issues with feeding when the magazine is filled up past 6 rounds. I have tried all kinds of magazine, wilson combat, mecgar, colt, metalform trying to find one that works, and I can't seem to get anywhere. the best ones so far have been the wilson combat mags, and again, once I get up past 7 rounds in the magazine, it starts having feed problems.

I have a 20# recoil sping in the pistol.

I was thinking that the extended ejector might be screwing it up? Any ideas here would be great!

thanks

travelerBT

issue I am having

What is happening.

When I load more then 5 rounds into the magazine, the slide goes to pick up the next round, and for some reason, the round angles down, and jams againt the feed ramp.

Please help

Hunter Customs

Your recoil spring sounds a little on the heavy side to me.

Are you charging the gun from slide lock or are you sling shoting the slide when you have the FTF?
Are you using a ramped barrel, if not what is the depth and condition of the feed ramp in your frame?
Whats the weight of your extractor tension and what type of extractor are you using?
Has your gun been timed correctly?
There's several other factors that can add to your problem, the one's listed above are a good place to start.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

I like Bob's overly heavy recoil spring theory. If the bullet is tipping down and staying in the magazine, it never makes it up high enough to interact with the ejector or the extractor. One question is whether this also happens when you try to chamber the first round, or only happens when the gun tries to cycle itself after firing a round? If it is only the latter, excessive recoil spring weight is further indicated. Such a spring can prevent the slide from going fully into counter-battery during cycling, and thereby deprives it of run-up for stripping the top cartridge from the column. When you drop the slide stop or rack the slide back and release it to snap forward a-la clearing exercise, you have that run-up available. If the recoil seems substantially softer with the 20 lb spring than with an 18 lb or standard (for .45 ACP full size 1911) 16 lb spring, that is added evidence the spring is too heavy. It means the slide isn't moving back far enough to tap the frame even lightly.

By the way, some spring-loaded shock absorbing devices can stop the slide too short of full counter-battery and cause feed failures, too. If you have one installed, try putting just a recoil spring guide in its place.

You didn't say whether you had tried more than one type of ammo or not?

Harry Bonar

feeding

Sir:
Needs a reliability package by an experienced 1911 smith.
Harry B.
P.S I think an 18 1/2 spring would be plenty!

Harry Bonar

guide rod

Hey! Bob!
I agree that if one is really set up right it might be O.K.
I had one though (9mm) that (1911) got galded through the reverse plug and tore the bbl. bushing clear out. I had to relieve the outfit and fit a new bushing!
I understand but I just don't like them - hope this finds you hale and hearty.
Harry B.

GoSlash27

I had a similar problem with my 96. The ogive of the rounds was too narrow. I fixed it by loading my .40s longer than max OAL.