Federal primers packaging

condor bravo

There have been some recent posts about Federal primers and criticizing the way they are packaged. Here is the reason why: A FedEx or UPS driver was transporting a quantity of Federal primers packaged in their original small boxes when the truck struck a sharp bump in the road, causing the primer contents to explode, and killing the driver. Hence the new larger boxes which provide a much better cushion. Federal primers are sensitive.

FITASC

ALL primers are sensitive. Put a bunch in a glass jar and walk around shaking them and you'll achieve the same results - KABOOM

condor bravo

Re: above post
Well perhaps I should have said more sensitive than most and maybe that is behind the suggestions not to use Federals with certain Lee tools. But has anyone actually tried putting a bunch of primers in a glass jar and pretending like you were mixing a martini?

NoSecondBest

Citing an "incident" without any link to support it is just a story. OP doesn't even know which alledged trucking company may have had an incident. This runs into the category of "urban myth". Same with the glass jar.

condor bravo

No I don't have an on-line source for the material but obtained the information when stopping personally into Dillon Precision in Arizona (a pretty good source by the way since they sell a lot more than just reloading presses) and asking them the reason behind the new larger packaging of the Federal primers. This was sometime back, not just within the past year or two, so now don't recall whether it was FedEx or UPS. If you have a more exact reason for the packaging, let us all know. There is plenty of information out there expounding on the sensitivity of Federal primers. Consider it to be an urban myth if you like, but still be careful when handling and using Federals. I use plenty of them.

Last edited:

Greg Mercurio

Google has nothing that is not hearsay on various forums, so I suspect this is an urban legend. I would think Bloomberg and the usual Congressional nannies and banners would have a field day trying to stop interstate transportation if true.

Pathfinder45

I don't like their packaging either. But I do like their primers. Life is full of greater inconveniences that are still worth tolerating.

condor bravo

Thanks Path for the positive response on liking Federal primers; so do I.

Does the prosecution doubt the reliability of my information source? During a routine stop at Dillon Precision for bullets/powder/primers I first noticed the large packaging of the Federal Primers and asked the urban legend question. Google nor Bloomberg has anything to do with it.

mchapman

I don't have any problems with the packaging other than I use more shelf space, I really like using Federal primers with all of my revolvers. I don't have any issues with getting them out of the box either, I use a progressive press and I use a primer flipper plate, set it on top of the box and then turn it over and lift the box off, leaving the primers on the flipper, shake it a bit and they are all on the same side, put lid on and turn back over and then pick up with primer tube. But Lee also has warnings about using any primer pickup tubes, you get more business if everyone is afraid to use the competions products. I also have and use a lot of Lee products, so I'm not bad mouthing Lee products, just making a statement about my thoughts on the situation.

DaleA

Found the following at this location

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=403142

It is supposedly a reply from Federal...I cannot and do not vouch for it, just saying it's out there...doesn't say anything about a truck driver death.

From Federal.

Federal uses only basic lead styphnate. All other manufacturers use normal lead styphnate. The difference between the two forms is the pH (basic vs. neutral) at which the crystals are formed, the molecular makeup, and final crystal morph.

It is true that the Federal packaging is for DOT compliance. Specifically it is for the DOT-6C burn test compliance. All primer manufacturers use package spacing to comply with DOT sympathetic detonation requirements. Federal primers are known for being the best igniters in the industry. This is because they produce the highest level of hot particulate with the lowest gaseous overpressure, at the slowest rate.

Sincerely,
Federal Communications Team

condor bravo

The Federal Commuications Team information posted by DaleA certainly appears genuine and would tend to further confirm the sensitivity of Federal primers.

cw308

Have been using Federal primers with out a problem. After reading this post, I guess I can sprinkle some around my property to keep away Big Foot.

Greg Mercurio

Perhaps if you'd put a winking smilie ;) on your post everyone would understand. :D

I'm sure Roy Weatherby just by accident specified Federal primers for all his proprietary cartridges, them being so sensitive and all...

dds51968

While I know the majority here know the meaning. Kind of feel like this forum and many others have their share.

Just sayin.......

A contrarian is a person who takes up a contrary position, a person who seems to be "contrary for the sake of being contrary,"