Federal person. def. 135 any opinions?

curious

I got some federal personal defense 135 hydra-shok jhp does any one have any reason to use this or why I shouldn't?
thanks
curious

P

PreserveFreedom

I just bought a box myself. I am too cheap to use them for testing though. I am just going to use them for carry when my most likely target(s) will be human. They are designed for a total transfer of energy into their target and I have heard nothing bad. At 135 grain, it should haul some butt too. I assume this is in 40S&W?

Kentucky Rifle

.40 caliber 135gr. "PD" Hydra-Shok is the round I use most often in my G27. Federal is my number one choice in ammo. I'm not so recoil sensitive, but I figure less recoil will be easier on the my favorite pistol. To tell the truth, I really can't feel much difference in the 135 grain rounds. In the heavier bullets though, I sense more recoil.
I tried the free ammo that Cor-Bon was offering and I liked it also. I've continued to buy some 135gr. Cor-Bon hollow point.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

CMOS

Curious, what gun awould you be firing them in? If it's a shorter barreled gun you may not get the optimum velocity from them.

Tell us more...

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

The NRA is our shield, the GOA will be our sword.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, PreserveFreedom,

"I am too cheap to use them for testing though. I am just going to use them for carry when my most likely target(s) will be human."

And how do you know they will work when you need them against that ultimate target? Finding out that your new ammo won't feed should be done on the range, not on the street. This is one area where you really do decide what your life is worth, and "cheap" is not the way to go.

Jim

Mike in VA

Federal makes a 135 gr H/S in 9mm. Good stuff, though with a lot of muzzle flash, my SIG 226 & 228 like it fine.
M2

jtduncan

The 135 is cheaper because it's just not as accurate as the 124 or the 115.

You should train with the weight you carry. last time I checked, 135 grain 9mm factory ammo was pretty hard to find compared to the 124 and 115 grain 9mm ammo.

If you're carrying, the 124 grain HS is the load most carry.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

curious

CMOS,
I am using a glock 19 with a 4" barrel totally stock. What do you think is the optimum size for this gun for personal defense?
thanks
curious

P

PreserveFreedom

Jim, I never thought of it that way. Now that you mention it, I will include an extra box or 2 in my next ammo order. I have always used ball ammo in all of my autos so feeding has never been a problem but now that you mention it, I have heard of problems with hollowpoints in some autos. Thanx a bunch!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hydroshok efficiency: I was on a jury in a case where the late unlamented had been done in by five hits from a Model 36. The coroner's report concluded that any one of the hits would have been sufficient.

FWIW, Art

suckersrus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PreserveFreedom:
I am too cheap to use them for testing though. I am just going to use them for carry when my most likely target(s) will be human. [/quote]

An old man once gave me some excellent hunting advice and I think it applies here. It has served me well for many years.

"If you can only afford to buy 20 bullets you should shoot 15 in practice and carry the 5 that are left rather than the other way round."

[This message has been edited by suckersrus (edited June 14, 2000).]