Federal Match .308 Sierra bullet question.

savagest

I am beginning to reload and was wondering if the bullets that come in the Federal Gold Medal Match are moly coated or not?

Also what is the difference?

And what do you guys prefer? Moly coated or not?

Jimro

Just start off with naked bullets.

I've not seen any competitors yet using moly bullets, although I have read about some.

Bottom line, if you can't get your rifle to shoot with naked bullets then coated bullets won't help.

The difference is a thin layer of molybdenum disulfide which can cause problems such as ringing or corrosion if it reacts with water. Moly isn't worth the hassle, hasn't been linked to either better accuracy or longer barrel life, and is generally not worth the 50 to 75 fps max that you can gain from using coated bullets.

Jimro

kraigwy

In less something has changed Federal Match are loaded with 168 SMKs.

Work great to 600, if going past that, go with 175 SMKs.

Bart B.

Most centerfire rifle matches are won with and records set with naked bullets. While a few do moly their bullets, the difference in accuracy is minimal at best and depends very much on how their tested to compare accuracy. To most, it's not worth the extra cost.

Do whatever makes you feel the best. Nobody shoots ammo they don't feel good about; it's a human nature thing.

bbqncigars

Now you have heard from shooters that have BTDT, and are the gold standard for bench rifle shooting on this forum.

Jimro

Too true, if KraigWY, Bart B., and Unclenick agree on a subject you can take it to the bank.

Jimro