Federal game load shell re-loadable?

msta999

I want to start reloading 12 ga 2 3/4 inch. I have around 30 of the "Federal game load" shells. Are these re-loadable? I went to the hodgdon data site and only found "Federal gold metal plastic", "Federal high power plastic shells" and "Federal paper shells".

Do I just use the Federal gold metal plastic? or?

These are once fired shells.

I read that the Lage Uniwad will crush to the proper size, with different brand husks and not cause the husk to push open. Is anyone using this and does it work?

birdshot

my experience

after i bought my first reloader i tried to reload the hulls i had saved such as federal game loads. i could not get a crimp that would stay closed. also i had to experiment with other powders to find a load that filled the case to a point i could get the proper wad pressure for a clean burn. in the end i bought a bag of once fired double A's and never looked back.

BigJimP

I don't load any Federal shells as a rule ( I load Rem STS or Rem Nitro's in 12ga exclusively ) ....but I don't think the Federal Gun Club is the same internal dimension as the Federal Gold Medal hulls.

I would not recommend any kind of a uni-wad .....

Follow the recipes in the book exactly ...don't substitue anything ! You cannot mix and use various 209 primers in shotshells ...shotshell loads are specific to a specific primer. Wads are specific to a load as well. It might seem unusual that 12ga hulls should be different - but they are - some are tapered, one piece, 2 piece, different crimp patterns, etc ...

To keep it simple / pick up some Remington STS hulls - most every club sells once fired hulls ...and try those out first. Rem STS is a very strong hull - I load mine to 1oz at about 1225 fps ....and I easily get 20+ reloads out of them before they crack. Rem Gun Club uses the same recipes that the STS or Nitro hulls use ...but the plastic in the Rem gun club hulls is thinner and more brittle - and it'll crack after 2 or 3 reloads often.

My favorite 12ga recipe is:
Rem STS or Nitro hulls
1 oz of shot ( I usually load 8's - for sporting, Trap and Skeet )
Hodgdon Clays powder 18.3 gr gives me a load at about 1225 fps - but you will find recipes published for 1125 fps - 1290 fps.
Win 209 primer
WAA12SL wad - now the wad you can substitue if you find a WAA1SL equivalent - like a "Green Duster", or a CB1100-12 as an example. Your loading books will give you a wad substitution chart. Don't just pick one on your own...!

the loading tables will give you different recipes if you have a different wad ( like a Remington wad ) -- or if you have a different primer like a REM 209P primer or a CCI 209 primer ....and you will usually find the powder drop is different for each load.

5R milspec

Federal @#$%^&&

my dad and I tried fed on time in 20ga.each and everyone of them came apart in the chamber.just made to cheaply.had to run a stick down the barrel or pull the gun down to just get it out.so we shoot the rest in a single shot.

msta999

Dram?

Thanks for the info everyone. I dumped the Federals and am going with AA's. Looked fod STS's, but couldn't find any.

Anyone know anything about the dram of a load? I shoot cowboy and it is suppose to be under 3. 2 3/4 is ok. I don't see it listed anywhere in the load data.

zippy13

Good choice, the Double-As.

Dram, or Dram Equivalent, is a reference to the old school way of loading black powder and indicates the velocity. These days shells typically indicate the speed in fps, too -- this wasn't the case several years ago.

For 12-ga 1-1/8 oz loads a 2-3/4 dram eq gives a velocity of 1150 fps which is fine for light target work (Skeet and 16 yd trap). For handicap trap you might like a 3 dram eq load at 1,200 fps. My friend BigJim likes them even a pinch faster.

Loading guides typically don't give drams these days, just select a recipe based on the velocity you want. Unlike metallic shells, for shot shells follow the recipe exactly with no substitute components.

msta999

Thanks. I will be using Clays and there are several loads under 1150 vel, I'll use one of them. Thanks again.

Should be getting the rest of the supplies I need tomorrow, I'll be trying it out then.

I may have to get a different wad. Is WAA12 (1 1/8 oz.) the same as WAA12SL? or I could just go with 1 oz I guess....

Last edited:

zippy13

I misspoke earlier, where you want to use the same primer, powder type/weight and shot charge as indicated in the recipe, there is some flexibility with wads.

I've been using the Claybuster replacements for the Winchester wad for many years. A bag of 500 Claybusters is just a little more than a box of 250 Winchesters. For standard 1-1/8 oz target loads I use the CB118-12 (White) wads and the CB1100-12 (Pink) for 1 oz loads.

In response to Claybusters, and other clones, Winchester offers the Orange WT12 wads in bags of 500. Winchester WAA12 (white), Claybuster CB118-12 (white) and Winchester WT12 (orange) are interchangeable 1-1/8 oz wads and use the same reloading data.

For your convenience, many of the wads will have their most popular recipes printed on the bag. There are some that claim the premium boxed Winchester wads pattern better in their guns.

oneounceload

To add to Zippy's comments - there is also a company called Down Range that makes excellent clones for Winchester, Federal, and AA wads that are priced as cheaply or less than Claybusters. Any load below 1200 fps will be in your required 2-3/4 dram equivalent range (AND be easy on the shoulder)

msta999

My first reload!

Ok, I finally picked up everything and complete my first reload with my little lee loader. I went with 1 oz because of the wads I picked up. They are WAA12SL and the 1 1/8 oz called for WAA12.

Here it is, what do you think?

l_d0dd34198448465890615f5e637440b5.jpg

l_0f896c52fc2946f980f91f206e2cc396.jpg

l_98a2b13b70cb4981bad58f3928c54020.jpg

l_97038c26f6834be49a258fcf9da5fdde.jpg

oneounceload

The crimp is doable as far as working, but it could be better - you might try tweaking the precrimp and crimp dies IF you can with your Lee. I started with a LoadAll and VERY quickly moved to MEC because of the crimp

msta999

Some of the crimps didn't turn out the greatest. I don't have a starter crimp, I may have to get one.

l_8578dcf723c54cc381115df3e448d7cd.jpg

l_965a05e69f244bd0b7e6e75d1bac0496.jpg

The second one, I didn't push down on the wad as hard as the rest and I see it made a big difference.
l_f1752deae6b94d89a0dd9173ce8147f1.jpg

oneounceload

Wad pressure can be changed with a MEC - a 600 used will run you about $50, IMO, a good deal. I have 3 of them and the 28 makes crimp perfect and rounds off the top for feeding in my 1100 semi

msta999

I have looked at some MEC's before, but I don't know how to tell if it is complete or not.

What would I look for? to make sure it will have everything?

msta999

Something I just noticed, the shot bag (#8 lead) says magnum on it. Is this something I should be concerned about? or does it just mean it can be used for magnum?

cheezhed

Magnum shot is harder shot and as far as I can tell makes no difference in reloading. I used nothing but magnum shot when I reloaded as that was all that was available to me.

oneounceload

Shot is typically made as chilled, hard, or magnum - it has to do with the amount of antimony blended in with the lead. Magnum shot usually has 5-6%. It means your pellets should deform less upon firing, thereby giving you better patterns. Clays or birds really don't know the difference

msta999

I was just reading you are not suppose to mix primers. The loads I just loaded: 1 oz, WAA12SL, 15.7 clays, said to use CCI 209 primers. I used Winchester 209. I see further down there is a load for Win 209 with 1 oz, WAA12SL wad and 16.0 clays. This should be close enough, I am assuming? 15.7 ver 16.0 is not a big difference?? Everything is the same, but the powder amount. Win starts @ 16.0 and goes up to 19.8. CCI starts at 15.7 and goes up to 18.4.

This is really a none issue for plunking rounds? Correct?

msta999

Finished my first box!

I reloaded a full box with the lee loader, now I'm hooked. Looking for a mec 600 jr.

Thanks everyone.

I don't know why, but I have gotten a lee loader for every caliber I have....
Just like to make sure they work and I can use it is need be. This is my first time loading shellshot. My hobby just expanded again!