Federal expanding full metal jacket

TiP99

Has any one had any experience with these bab boys? They are a 105 grn bullet and a FMJ and the extra velocity would help in the cold weather states such as Nebraska. Just fishing for some answers.
Cheers

mete

All the tests I've heard about have shown that it works very well as have a limited number of uses on the street. Apparently most of this ammo is being sold overseas.

Erich

I run the 200-gr +P .45 version in my Glock 36. It functions well, and is pretty speedy. IIRC, David DiFabio is of the opinion that you're better off with virtually any JHP that functions.

Danindetroit

Erich

IIRC, David DiFabio is of the opinion that you're better off with virtually any JHP that functions.

Just asking for clarification, does he mean that functions in your gun?, or a HP that expands?

tag

I haven't tried it yet, but I just can't understand the benefits unless you carry a firearm that can't feed hollowpoints.

mete

Tag, there are some places where you can't use HPs ,such as NJ where the EFMJ is legal.

Danindetroit

Erich, That is alright I am obtuse.:D

Most people on the Detroit area usually in the winter wear a leather coat for wind resistance, and if they are going to be out for a while, a t-shirt, shirt, and a hooded sweatshirt. Hollowpoint expansion is not guranteed under the best conditions, maybe the efmj with the hp removed will penetrate and give some expansion, I would love to see ballistic testing comparing them with leo sxt's, with leather covering the gelatin. For people who like number the Sectional density, which is a calculation of weight by bullet frontal area I believe, and higher is better, lists a 230gr .45 with .161 the same as a .40 at 180 grains. the .40 at 165 is .147, the .45 is .140 at 200. With my wife carrying a .40 with LEO 165's at 1140 fps, and 474 ft-lbs if energy, it is hard to argue with those numbers. The .40 efmj at 135 grains and only 1200 fps gives me pause, at 1300 fps I would be happier. I like it that the bullet companies are trying new things, I hope it isn't like the auto companies old strategy of make it, and let the public test it. I did computer modeling of auto parts for crash testing. A being symetrical would be easy to model model 1/6 or 1/8 of the round,depending if there are cuts around the HP or other structures, and rotate and copy. I never knew if Nastran was very NVH or crash testing, but it gives you an idea about bullet design. Prototype 100,000 rounds and shoot it in the field. The japanese used to tune there engines on the Dyno for max touque and HP, and wondered why the german who did final tuning on the track always outperformed them. Thank you for listening to me put you to sleep.:D

Last edited:

Indy_SIG

From the Federal Website

"No hollowpoint to fill and block expansion, thus very consistent expansion
through barriers
Internally skived jacket gives consistent, symmetrical expanded shape with
a large diameter
Rubber front core functions works well under a wide range of operating
velocities and temperatures
Works well in short barreled and standard barrel length handguns
Low flash propellant for low light tactical use
Reliable feed and function in semi-auto and automatic weapon
High velocity with low recoil for increases energy for effectiveness, yet reduces recoil for controllability - helps you stay on target when it counts the most
Performance designed for personal defense use, so penetrations and expansions designed to work best in situations likely to be encountered in personal defense
Clear, tamper-resistant box allows customers to see the ammunition without opening the box"

Walter

Another point I heard...

...in favor of the FMJ "expanding bullet" is that it will give police officers
in some jurisdictions a better choice of ammo.
Many city governments do not allow cops to carry any type of hollowpoint bullets.
If it helps the cops out, I give it two thumbs up!

Erich

I suspect that's not much of an issue anymore. The '80s were pretty liberating for cops in terms of ammo - I don't personally know of any departments that don't issue HPs nowadays.

Man, though, in the '70s . . . a semi-wadcutter was considered a major advance for a lot of departments.

mete

Detroit as I understand went to the 40 S&W but with FMJ [ Politicians !!!] but now they have gone to the Federal EFMJ ! Now they have something good . :D

Erich

Wow. I wonder if they had any FMJ overpenetration problems? How could their risk management department let them do something so foolish? :eek:

the possum

A few years ago, during the infamous "Diallo Shooting" in New York City, all three cops were using 9mm hardball, as required. I think they have since been allowed to use hollowpoints, though.