Federal brass question

ghbucky

All of my 5.56 brass is from the Federal American Eagle ammunition. They are head stamped with FC and lots of dots.

I also just got some Federal ammo that is supposed to be for police. The headstamps on those are only marked with FC, no dots.

I only shot 20 of the latter, but can I mix that brass with the rest of the federal plinking brass, or do I need to handle them seperately?

If they weigh about the same, they are compatible. As long as cases are brass, and not steel or aluminum or partly plastic (yes, that has been done), and are boxer primed (one whole in the middle of the floor of the primer pocket) and don't have drastically different weights (within, say 4%), you are good to go.

Rod47

Watch your primer pockets. About two reloads and primer pockets are too loose. Moderate reloads shot in my AR's.

5whiskey

I never had a big problem with FC .223 brass. All other and yeah... good for 3 moderate or 4 mild reloads. At least in .270

jetinteriorguy

I like LC brass for range shooting because it can handle more loading cycles before tossing it out. But for just blasting or shooting when you probably won’t recover the brass I use FC and PMC, or any other random brass I’ve picked up at the indoor range.

sparkyv

Plinking? No concern, mix 'em up. Competition or trophy hunting might require additional diligence.

All of my 5.56 brass is from the Federal American Eagle ammunition. They are head stamped with FC and lots of dots.

I also just got some Federal ammo that is supposed to be for police. The headstamps on those are only marked with FC, no dots.

I only shot 20 of the latter, but can I mix that brass with the rest of the federal plinking brass, or do I need to handle them seperately?

jetinteriorguy

They tend to extract in a very forceful manner, possibly bending rims and denting brass on deflectors. I’m assuming the term gas guns is referring to AR15’s and AK47 type semi auto weapons. Of course this is just a generalization, not an absolute.