Does anyone know which semi-autos are okay to use this ammo in? My choices are:

Browning HP
Glock 19
S&W 39-2 (I doubt this one is okay)
H&K USP Compact

Thanks.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Glock states in the armorer's manual that the 17 and the 19 are safe to 43,500psi. According to Federal (I called them directly), this load is 38,500psi so you're well within the safe range for the larger Glock 9mms.

Actually, if you look at the pressure for the load you will see that it's actually right at the upper limit for 9mm+P so it should be pretty safe in anything rated for +P. I think Federal puts the +P+ marking on it because it is at the extreme upper limit with no wiggle room. In other words, it might go over the +P pressure limit in hot weather or in a given firearm based on various variables.

I don't know about the BHP or the S&W, but I'd be surprised if the USP wouldn't handle it.

FPrice

John...

Thanks for the info. The Glock and the USP are most likely to be SD firearms so they are the ones in which I would probably use this ammo. The S&W is more of a collection piece (my S&W collection) and the Hi-Power is a fun gun and potential customization project.

steveno

I don't have any documentation other than what I have heard numerous times. the SAS uses the real hot stuff and it wears their guns out but then they have an unlimited supply of them. Lauthridge at Cylinder & Slide also says not to use them with the hot loads. I have a Belgium made High Power and I'm not going to do anything that will even come close to damaging it in anyway. Personally the only load I shoot in it is the standard Federal 9 mm 115 grain hollow point at 1,150 fps or so. at normal pistol ranges I don't think you gain enough with the hot loads to make much of a difference anyway.

JohnKSa

Administrator
FPrice,

I'm not saying that load is suitable for use in the USP Compact, only that it would surprise me if it's not. My USP (not USP Compact) manual is intentionally vague on the topic. It seems from the wording of the ammo disclaimer that +P is ok, but it says nothing about +P+. It does state that NATO spec ammo is OK which would lead me to believe that low-end +P+ loadings (including the 9BPLE) are probably OK. I have no information at all regarding the differences between the USP and the USP Compact.

I bought a case of the 9BPLE awhile back (CDNN was running a special), that's why I called Federal for the pressure specs. The rep was reticent to give me any information and told me several times that the ammo was intended for LE use only. He finally caved and gave me the answer when I told him the pressure spec for the gun (Glock 17) that I intended to use it in. The pressure spec for the load stuck in my head because it was exactly the SAAMI limit for +P 9mm.