Federal 147 HS JHP

FireForged

I came across a good deal on some Federal 147gr 9mm Hydra-Shoks and bought several boxes. While looking through some old posts on this page I noticed that many of you dislike the 147gr 9mm round. Did I just screw up? If so I will off load them quickly and buy something better.

Rob96

The 147gr. rounds have been known not to expand and overpenetrate just like FMJ rounds. I don't know to much about how expansion is between the different brands, probably best to check Firearms Tacticals website for test info.

blades67

147gr Hydra Shoks were designed as a subsonic 9mm round for use with sound suppressors. As a result the bullet fails to expand reliably under some circumstances. If you have a sound suppressor for your 9mm, these are going to have best sound suppression characteristics. I would just go to the range and fire them up for the practice, then get some 124gr Hydra Shoks for carry use.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

3 gun

Check out the "links" at the top of of the page and find the Firearms Tactical Institute link. The 147 Federal load was tested by the FBI in Volume2 Number6. If I read it correctly this is an issued/approved load for 9mm by the FBI.

------------------
Be careful around a man with one gun,he'll know how to use it.

deanf

Do us all a favor: pull all the bullets without damaging them. Then, reload them to about 1100 fps. Then, test them on some cadavers and see how they do.

I really would like to know how this bullet performs at high velocity.

Jhp147

Blades67, I think that the original design for military use in supressed weapons was indeed a 147 grain bullet, but I think it was the 147 WW OSM (Winchester-Western Olin Super Match), not the Hydra-Shok. It was designed for quiet performance and good accuracy-thus the long bearing surface of the 147 vs. 115/124 perhaps. Hydra-Shok came along later as one of the improved 147's in response to 147 OSM alleged weaknesses (failure to expand, etc.)I think that the non-HydraShok 147's are still marketed, both the original WW-OSM and a Federal HY-SHOK. You should have seen the argument the rangemaster had with the purchasing agent over HY-SHOK vs. HYDRASHOK. Then one thing that the features of any of these bullets does is sell bullets.