Federal 125gr Nyclad .38 special

RamSlammer

They're a bit underpowered for SD use IMO. 830 FPS doesn't even make 200 ft/lbs energy. For standard pressure loads, either a heavy SWC or one of the 110 grainers that move faster than 1000 FPS are perhaps better choices.

Laz

Well, a lot of people have thought highly of the Nyclads for a long time which is presumably why Federal brought them back after saying they were gone forever. They were long popular in alloy-framed snubbies which were generally not, until recently, rated for plus P ammunition. Out of a 1 7/8 inch barrel, 830 fps compares pretty favorably to most 125 grain plus Ps which seldom reach 900 fps out of a snub. The nylon coating covers a dead soft lead hollowpoint and Nyclads have historically expanded quite well. I bought several boxes of them when they were discontinued but have not tried any of the new issue, yet. The design was, I believe, first offered by Smith and Wesson when they had an ammo line and the rights were sold to Federal at some point. They were known as the "Chiefs Special" because of their natural application as ammunition for J-frames. I have several pre-plus P airweight J-frames and I am quite fond of the Nyclad for use in them. I would not call the Nyclad the best snubby load but it ain't shabby either. Personally, I think they're a bit too expensive to plink with (and when they were out of production, too precious to plink with) and there might be better choices for small game, although I'm sure they'd work. I look at them as pretty good defensive ammo for lower recoil and/or smaller, lighter, and/or weaker guns. Just MO.

Note this thread on this forum from today: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379188

Last edited:

Elvishead

Federal makes a low recoil Hydra shock round, it's a 110g hollow point.

A little spendy at about $1 round x20, but should work pretty good as they are rated at a pretty high velocity.

Last edited:

Laz

Elvishead is right about Federal's 110 grain load. It or the Nyclad should be fine for your purpose. Hornady makes a number of standard pressure .38 special loads also. Winchester makes their Silvertip in 110 grain standard pressure but it is not as "fast" as the Federal load, I don't believe. This may not be the best suggestion in many eyes, but personally I wouldn't be too worried about standard pressure 158 grain semi-wadcutters in that role either, or even Match 148 grain wadcutters. The 148 grain wadcutters are very easy to shoot, usually extremely accurate, and cut a full-size .36 caliber hole.

Personally, I'd lean toward the Nyclad. Hopefully, your mother will have a chance to shoot some of these and give her input.

TCman

Thanks fellas. I plan to get her to the range and try them out. She might just go for the 357. Who knows?

Elvishead

The 148 grain wadcutters are very easy to shoot, usually extremely accurate, and cut a full-size .36 caliber hole.

Yep, I'd get some if I can find some around for a 79 year old lady with arthritis, because I think they kick less than the Fed. Low Recoil 110g HS's .38s.

TBS. I load the .38 HS's, in her .357 (24oz with a lightened trigger), and the last/6th shot if she would need it is a 100g PowR'ball .357. Those are pretty low recoil for a .357.

Que

I depend upon Nyclads out of my LCR without concern in warmer weather when clothing is lighter, which around here is much of the year. The rest of the time I will use 38 SPL +P Speer Gold Dot 135gr GDHP when penetration through thicker clothing could be an issue.

When using the Nyclads I feel that there will be adequate penetration, with reliable and significant expansion more than making up for lesser energy. I find that for me the Nyclads are very controllable, offering superior speed and shot placement for multiple shots.

gglass

My local shop here in Indiana has the new Federal Nyclad .38 Special (+P and standard) for $22.00 per 50.

I just had to get a few boxes... You never know when they could take them away again.

jglsprings

Yikes! Do the new issue Nyclads cost that much?

Well, this thread had me on the lookout for some at my local shop. He had eight or nine cases stcked up on the the floor!!

So I figured - what the heck - "How much for them thar NyClads?"

After they revived me and sent the paramedics on their way, I decided I'd stick with my Gold Dots - $7.00 less for twenty. I'm not so sure that my local "guy" is going to get much of my ammo business.

Laz

I'm going to have to note prices around here the next time I see some of them. I never checked before because I have quite a few. Whew! I like 'em but I dunno if I like 'em that much, LOL.

Que

At $30.00 + for twenty I think I'll stay with my 357 125 load....

That's a third higher than around here.

Heck, you don't use them for plinking, and there is no real need to shoot more than a relative few to get used to them or to check for reliability. Their price is right in line with other SD rounds that I shoot.

SaberOne

My local shop here in Indiana has the new Federal Nyclad .38 Special (+P and standard) for $22.00 per 50.

That's what they cost here in Yuma, AZ too. In my opinion, they would be fine in a snub. We can debate the ballistics all day long but in the end, if someone is hit with one of these, it's going to hurt. I suspect they will make cleaning a bit easier but who knows? I may purchase a couple boxes just for the heck of it to see how they print. I'm also interested in the .38 non +P Hornady Critical Defense.

Too often we associate the terminal effect of particular rounds that come out of a snub. I mean, does anyone really shoot .357 loads out of their 12-ounce 340’s? If I can’t control what I’m shooting, then I’m not so inclined to shoot someone in public if confronted. The risk of collateral damage weighs heavily on my mind if I should ever have to actually shoot someone. Ok, this may not be the most sound approach although after more than a few years of experience I guess I'm just changing my perspective.
Regards,

Last edited: