FBI background checks

spacemanspiff

is there any cost to having your background check? Is there a difference between the check that is done when purchasing a handgun as opposed to getting a CCW?
When I bought my last handgun over an online auction, the FFL I picked up the gun from didnt charge me anything extra for the NICS check.

The reason I ask, is that there is a new procedure in the state of Alaska Department of Insurance. All new licensees (licensed to be a producer of insurance) used to have to send in a fingerprint card and pay a fee for a criminal history check. It was about $45. Now they want all new licensees to submit two fingerprint cards, and $59, which they say will allow the division of insurance to obtain national criminal history check from the FBI.
Now isn't that the same as the NICS?

RenegadeX

By law, there is no charge for the NICS check. If your dealer charged you, it was pure profit for him, as he is not charged. Now he may rationalize and say he has to have a phone, use the phone, take extra time, etc.

spacemanspiff

i'm thinking its just the state division of insurance's way to make some extra money. besides, wouldnt a national criminal background check already cover the local check? i'm of the opinion that it is overkill and entirely unnecessary. not like i can do anything about it, i recieved my insurance license a few months before this new procedure.

DCR

NICS is different from the FBI check. NICS was set up specifically under the Brady Bill; it is a name-based check for a specific purpose. They take your name and other data (DOB, SSN) and do a quickie check - not very thorough compared to fingerprint checks - to see if there is any prohibition to you purchasing.

Fingerprint based checks are more extensive - the FBI takes your cards, scans them in and compares your prints with their print database. They also do a concurrent check based on your name, DOB, SSN, etc.

Sounds like AK is making some money off of applicants; FBI checks are around $25.00 (depending whether the state has a pay-as-you-go or regular billing). The rest must be going to the agency you drop the cards off with. You ought to ask them.