Favorite woods revolver

HighValleyRanch

Since everyone is doing the best of, this is my favorite woods pistol.
Ruger Service Six in .357 magnum.
I've been working in the woods today, carrying this in a Hill People Gear Snubby chest pack, and it is extrememly comfortale cutting and splitting logs this morning.
Pretty much stock except for the modified bisley hammer and carved wood grips I made for it.

Why a snub nose? Because where I live, this piece has to also be on my CCW permit as well, and be carried discreetly.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 2,124

DaleA

Why a snub nose? Because where I live, this piece has to also be on my CCW permit as well, and be carried discreetly.

Oh good grief!

In no way shape or form is that "common sense" gun control. If they let you carry what does it matter WHAT you carry? I know, I'm preaching to the choir here but I kind of think I need to be reminded of what might come to MY state if we're not careful.

P.S. Is "deadlier" even a word? As in, "this gun is "deadlier", or "too deadly" or "excessively deadly"? (Again, I know I'm preaching to the choir but really, if you got into a legal fracas wouldn't any real firearm be treated as "deadly force"?)

BTW, I am an admitted Ruger fanboy and always felt the Security Six the Speed Six and the Service Six were some of the best revolvers made, both for their price and their sturdy construction. I favored the Security model because of the adjustable sights.

Disclaimer: I just possibly might be getting confused about the models here. Yours looks VERY nice.

Just an additional note: the Ruger revolver model stuff bugged me so much I went online and found this very nice review from Brownells. It's one of their "From the Vault" series. Right near the end he goes through the Ruger models so it isn't just about the Service Six.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NSKyf7ZovQ

Last edited:

reteach

HVR - Nice looking ratchet.

I see the "Service Six" marking on the frame but that looks like a round butt Speed Six. I know that Ruger wasn't very consistent in the early days of the Six series double actions, like making some Security Sixes with fixed sights and round butts. I think they even made some that were marked Service Six and had round butts.

I like those revolvers, so yours makes me curious. Did yours come with a round butt or did you modify it? Or did you work some kind of magic with the grips you made to make it look like a round butt?

HighValleyRanch

Magic!LOL. I made round butt grips but left the front corner sharp so it looked more like a birdshead grip. You are right, the service six comes stock with the square butt frame. These grips were made for my past security six, and I drilled a lanyard hole where the round part of the grips left the frame exposed. I like the option to put on a lanyard for woods carry. So I plan to do the same on this frame as well. Just haven't got around to it yet.

mxsailor803

I actually have 3 favorites depending on what I’m doing in the woods: 6” 629 Smith, Ruger LCR .38spl, and Heritage Rough Rider in .22LR. Now all 3 serve a different purpose obviously. Lately I’ve been carrying the LCR more and more. I carried the Heritage for close to 15 years as a boat gun/trap gun. The Smith is my normal carry during hunting season since I also hunt with it.

reteach

I see the metal now that you point it out. Thought it was part of the shadow. I like the idea of the lanyard. Gives you some extra security when you're working or traveling rough ground.

bamaranger

heavy and light

My light woods revolver is a Ruger Single Six, 6" tube (?) with the .22 mag cylinder. I probably shoot that longer barreled sixgun better than any pistol I own. It rides crossdraw in a Triple K cartridge belt and flap holster.

On the heavy side, I've carried a Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8" /.357 more than any other revolver. The Blackhawk goes in a leather "aviator holster" shoulder/chest rig. Oddly, the 629/.44 Mtn Gun I bought for the purpose of woods carry, has not been carried much at all.

Sanch

If I were to carry a revolver in bear habitat, it'd be a .357 Mag loaded with 180 grain hard cast.

My wilderness handgun is a 1911-A1 .45 ACP.

Sarge

My woods revolver is an old Iver Johnson Cattleman 44 Magnum with fixed sights and an 1860 grip frame. It shot a little high so I soldered some brass stock onto the front sight and worked it down until it was on at 100 yards with 240 XTP at 1425 fps. Does OK with a 205 grain 44 WCF duplication load at 50 feet, once I figured out I needed to hold in the black- not under it.

20200904_182405.jpg

The 'gold' bar at top of front sight was an added bonus and makes it easy to see in the dark old woods. The revolver is lighter than it looks and carrying it butt forward on the left keeps the muzzle out of the way. I like it a lot.

shafter

To the OP - what a perfect looking woods gun.

My preferred is a Security Six with a 4'' barrel. Standard stocks.

Carmady

I'm down to two revolvers, so the 3" 65-2 beats the 2" 10-5.

Attachments

• S&W 65-2 a.JPG
    S&W 65-2 a.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 98
  • S&W 65-2 b.JPG
    S&W 65-2 b.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 86

Brian48

My Model 29 with a 6" barrel is just too bulky for me to take hiking. I pack this one in .357mag.

686plus.jpg

Attachments

• 686plus.jpg
    686plus.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 58