Favorite Short Range Optics (0-150 yards)

j.chappell

I am putting together a 358 WIN. Well my smith is putting one together for me, I can’t take the credit. Anyway I have my own ideas of optics and what scope I might use but I wanted to get a little cross section of the forum to see what you guys think.

Like I said the rifle is going to be chambered in 358 WIN, will be used for whitetail and up, mostly close range work in dense to sparsely wooded terrain 0-150 yards max.

I am open to both American made optics and imports, 1" and 30mm, fixed and variable models. So there you have it, what would you choose, don’t forget the reticle choice either?

J.

Bitmap

A 2x to 3x scout scope would be my first choice. Duplex reticle is pretty standard for these.

My second choice would be a Trijicon Reflex 2 with the triangle reticle. The Aimpoint Comp series of sights is nice, too, as is the Eotech. You really can't go wrong with any of those.

j.chappell

Have you used the Trijicon scopes yet, and in particular the triangular aiming point, cant really call it a reticle can you, lol? I havent seen one to check out the quality or anything so I have no clue as to how it compares to other brands that I am familiar with.

J.

Scorch

Trijicon scopes are nice, and the triangular aiming point works well to draw your eye to the center of the field of view, much like the European #2 reticles. I still like a Leupold 2.5-8X, I have one on my 7X57 and 22WMR. It offers a good field of view with the option of higher magnification if needed.

j.chappell

I have 2 of them myself, they are really a great scope in a great power range. I'm just thinking that it would be more than I really needed but it is one that I am considering.

J.

Mannlicher

I think any quality low power variable would do what you want. I like the new one I got from Pentax. Its a 1.75-5X 20mm tube. Great value for the money.

fisherman66

I like my little bushnell banner 1-4x32 shotgun scope with 4.3" of ER.

I plan on scappin the scratch together to get a 2-7x33 VX-II eventually.

fisherman66

If eye-relief is important, you might be disappointed in the Euro line. The VX-II 2-7 is 4.9"* at 2 power (really closer to 2.5).

*published

j.chappell

What are you saying, that it is 2.5" not the 4.9" as advertised? I dont understand your post. 4.9" of eye relief is good! Where did you get your 2.5" figure from?

J.

fisherman66

No, sorry for the confusion.

2-7x33

Really is more like 2.5-7x33

The eye relief is fantastic. The power measurements are rounded to give it a broader power range for marketing purposes. If you are looking for super low power like a 1.5-4 range, the 2-7x33 may be too high of a power scope.

j.chappell

Oh I was wondering, I know all about the actual magnifications compared to the designations, but thank you for the input. I am leaning to the 1.25-4 in that line.

I just wish I could get my hands on all the scopes that I would like to look at you know. I hate to order something that I havent looked at and played with a little.

J.

j.chappell

I'd like to have that 94! You know a lot of us never thought to buy a lot of 94's cause you just always thought you would be able to get one whenever you wanted, now we are kicking ourselves in the rear casue we didnt.

J.

fisherman66

Yup, a Waters is pretty neat.

I bet Ruger offers a 7-30 in one of their special #1 in the next few coming years. That would make a dandy first gun fer a young 'un. The 250 Savage had me salivating, but the budget seems to only get tighter as time marches on.

taylorce1

I really like the 1.75-6X33 and 2.5-8X36 VXIII scopes. I've never had a problem tracking on moving or close up targets with either of these scopes. I think that once you start getting over 3 power you are getting a little too much power for the close in shots. I do have a 1.25-4 Bushnell scope that came on a ML that I bought used, I took it off since I can't use optics during ML season here. Would love to get a .30-30 bolt acton or single shot rifle to put it on though.

Brad Clodfelter

J,

I would opt for the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm. I had one on my Browning Bar that I loved that I ended up selling both to buy something else I wanted. I wished I had both back now. :( Oh well. The Monarch scopes are the best bang for your buck scope for under $300 that I know of. They have 95% light transmission. They are super duper bright and crystal clear all the way from end to end on the glass. You can see through these scopes when you would be dang near blind with your eyes right at dawn or before dark.

Awesome scopes.

Brad Clodfelter

Also J, I have had one of the low power Redfield scopes. I didn't like it. I wanted more power for one, and the scope had like a 20mm or 25mm objective. It was a older Redfield scope made in the 70's. Nowdays the lowest power variable scopes I will even consider are the 3-9 power scopes. I like a 40mm objective. The Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes are very good scopes, too. But I like the Monarchs just a tad better.