Favorite semiauto centerfire fun gun/plinker?

Neal in GA

My only rifle currently is my deer rifle - a browning a-bolt II .270win. It's a pretty nice shooter, but gets too expensive to shoot on a regular basis. I'm looking for something in some sort of military caliber to shoot for cheap (.223, .308, 7.62x39) that is fun and pretty accurate. A springfield M1A seems to fit the bill perfectly from what I've looked at, but they're pretty expensive. Should I just wait and get one, or should I find something like a mini-14 or mini-30? What do you bring along for primary fun gunning and a little moderate range (200-300yd) steel plate shooting?

k77/22rp

I know you want a semi-auto but I cant resist in saying that a turk mauser or Mosin Nagant seems perfect for what you want it for.
For the cost of an M1A you could have 25 turk mausers!!!!:D :D

Steve Smith

One of my match-use Service Rifle AR15s, of course! :D

(Ok, so I don't "plink". I honestly get the most enjoyment out of practice and competition with my match guns.)

Swamp Yankee

No home should be without an evil black rifle.

An AR 15 from a quality manufacturer is tough to beat. The best part mags and ammo are cheap and plentiful.
Take Care

gryphon

Fun centerfire rifle/plinker?

My Hi-Point 9mm carbine rifle is great. It eats everything, is accurate as all heck, and 9mm ammo is cheap.

Neal in GA

I should have specified that I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to rifles and looks. ARs are great guns, but they're fugly IMO. If I get a .223, I'll probably end up with a mini-14, but I'll probably end up with a .30 cal something. Are there any good cheaper alternatives out there to a springfield M1A? I'd really love to have one. It would be my first choice by far, but it's going to be a long time before I can swing a little over a grand for a fun gun (though I do hope to be picking up a sig P226 .357/.40 before too long).

David4516

Sounds like you need an M-1 Carbine. This is the COOLEST plinking gun EVER. And the ammo comes in boxes of 50 and not 20, so it should be pretty darn cheap to shoot. And it has alot of history behind it.

Neal in GA

Steve,
For you maybe. ;) For a relatively inexperienced 21 year old rifleman that typically hunts in heavily wooded country, it's moderate-long. I'd love to be able to say I'm a 500+yd shooter, but I've never even tried shooting at anything longer than 300. That said, I really want to learn. I seriously looked at m1 carbines, but that round isn't going to have any oomph at 300 yards, and the trajectory definately leaves a lot to be desired (so does 7.62x39 though).

stellarpod

Mini 14's a good choice. Lots of cheap ammo available.

Yugo SKS - should be able to find a good, tight shooter for around $200. 7.62 x 39 Ammo abounds and is incredibly cheap. Be sure you choose "non-corrosive" ammo though, because the barrel is not chrome lined. I have to admit the sight aren't too great. You'll probably want to upgrade them.

Too bad you're dead set against an AR15. My DPMS wasn't too bad at around $700 and it's a bucket of fun to shoot.

dfaugh

In semi-auto

Gotta be an SKS, I love banging away with mine

If a bolt gun, any Mosin (chk out M44s) or Mauser

Marko Kloos

Of the centerfire rifles I own, my M1 Carbine is my favorite fun gun. They have come up in price quite a bit lately, though...I paid $500 for my Rock-Ola/QH in cherry condition.

An SKS would be my second choice...cheap to feed, cheap to buy.

Poodleshooter

SAR-1 (AK copy). Ammo is even cheaper than for my AR, and darn close to the cost of .22s!
It's just fun to blast with,reliable, and works as a deer rifle in a pinch. Not a bad defensive shooter either. $350 give or take a few bucks. 30rd magazines are about $10 each.

Burlington Road

Centerfire Plinker

I suggest a Saiga 7.62x39mm. Really so cheap that you should have one. A new gun for less than $160 plus FFL etc., reliable and shoots inexpensive ammo.

Put a Kobra sight on it and for around $300 you can really have some fun.

DMK

My favorite centerfire plinker has got to be my SKS. It's a great handy rifle that has next to no recoil and shoots ammo as cheap or cheaper than 9mm.

Speaking of 9mm, my Marlin Camp Carbine is probably my second favorite for all the same reasons and it's even handier with it's 18" barrel, although it is limited to about 75 yards of effective range.

?

I would also recommend an sks or an Sar-1
sks is more accurate, Sar is more fun (30 round magazine):)

I also recommend an m1 carbine, you can probably find a reliable one for 300 if you look in the right places

I agree on the DPMS, great value for the money, how can anyone not like a cool looking rifle like that though???;)