Favorite Makarov Defense/CCW ammo?

Eric Larsen

Just curious what your favorite CCW/Defensive round is for the 9x18 Makarov round? Not reloads, but off the shelf items......
Any Ballistic data or Chrono info would be very interesting..also.
Shoot well

spleenandideal

I carry Hornady XTP 95gr. in my Maks on those few occasions that I do carry one. THey feed reliably and are accurate, though expensive. Sorry, no ballistic info.

Also going to try experimenting with the Barnaul nickel-cased hp russian stuff. Seems to feed great and has a bit more 'kick' than the Hornady.

BUTCH48

I have been carrying Hornady 9x18 XTP's very reliable, but they fall into the weaker.380 ballistic range. I am going to order some Corbon and in the meantime I'm carrying Barnual HP's. Check out www.goldenloki.com for 9x18 chronograph and geletin results. Hope this helps.

I carry an EG Makarov daily off duty.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I don't normally tote the little Makarov, but were I to do so, I'd likely go with the XTPs. They shoot for me and even though slower than the Corbons, which are no longer being produced in this caliber due to Sierra Bullets no longer making 9x18mm, they do tend to expand better than the XTPs in other calibers. I'm told that this is because Hornady figured this would not be used on game animals so less penetration might be the thing to do. I don't know. In my informal tests: water and wetpack, they do act more like the aggressive expanders.

The velocities are 10-shot averages from a Bulgarian Makarov, which is pictured below the data.

TCW 95 gr FMJ Ave. Vel. = 1043 ft/sec
Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ Ave. Vel. = 1018 ft/sec (ES: 28 ft/sec)
CorBon 95 gr JHP +P Ave. Vel. = 1098 ft/sec
Hornady 95 gr XTP Ave. Vel. = 937 ft/sec

Best.

fdf59f93.jpg

Eric Larsen

I appreciate all of the info. As stated previously, the Corbons are no longer available. CCI Blazer/Gold Dots are now a "no longer" also. Fiocchi is produced every 2-3 years in Italy...and I really dont want to wait that long....;) Barhaul was my great "red" hope and it faltered, the lacquer on the casing caused drag in my mags. Really a downer, they were accurate as hell and had a stout KICK to them. I guess the Hornady's are the way to go.....
Thanks for the replies....Shoot well

Zundfolge

I have a box of the Hornady XTPs for the odd time I pack my Mak, but that's because thats the only JHP I've found sold localy.

I like them and they are significantly more accurate then Wolf 9x18 (which is the only other 9x18 I can find localy).

spleenandideal

Mr. Camp~

I love those sights on your Mak. What type and who did the install? Has your shooting improved with the new sights?

Mr. Larsen~

If the laquered cases on the russian stuff is buggin' you, check out the nickel-cased baurnal..... I don't think the cases are laquered but they are sealed with the 'red' stuff. I may be wrong, though.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, spleenandideal. They came on the "Beast Conversion" I bought which is just a new Bulgarian slide with Novak sights already installed. Just replace slides. It's finished in a nicely done matte blue. I got this slide via www.makarov.com , but don't know if they still offer them or not. Cost is or was $150.00. Relatively speaking, that is high, but with my 51 year old eyes, I just do better with the larger sights and figured that by the time I paid for sights and gunsmith installation fees, plus waiting, I'd just get the Beast thingy. Have never regretted it.

Best.

denfoote

One more option!!!!

You guys left out one: 90gr Federal Hi-Shok!!!!! That is what I carry. :)
Ballistics are as follows:
  • Velocity: MUZZLE--- 990 fps 25yds---950 fps

Energy: MUZZLE---195 ft-lbs 25yds---180 ft-lbs

alamo

I use the Cor-Bons but as stated they are no longer being produced but I still see them at a couple of places. I've got 3 boxes of them, may have to get some more while I can.

BUTCH48

Eric,
I just received 500 rounds of Barnual HP from Dans ammo. The cases are not laquered!!! I'll let you know how they shoot. 500/$60. www.dansammo.com

Sorry I don't have picture capability.

Eric Larsen

Wow ..thanks to everyone. I have shot alot of Barhnaul and the stuff I get around here is lacquered. Maybe the new stuff is not the same. It is my round of choice. I found CCI Blazer GDHP's and jumped on all I could..
Hornady is expensive and relatively weak yet offers great expantion..isnt as accurate as CCI or Barhnaul. TCW ball has a nice kick and is my practice round of choice. I found Fiocchi JHP's locally and will try a couple of boxes out. Federal doesnt list the Hydra's on the website and Am. Eagle isnt even a choice..FMJ and inaccurate, for $ 15.00 a box? OUCH!

When I can get the Barhnaul in nickel...COOL! I have Hornady and CCI JHP's for carry. Fiocchi will have to be played with alot.
Again, thanks for the info....I appreciate it all.
Shoot well

SCamp...nice Mak! I love Novaks........have the low mounts/trijicons on my 3953 smitty...shoot well