Favorite Glock generation?

Jacket67

Hey TFL,

Been thinking a lot about picking up a Glock in the near future. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to save up an get a new gen 4 or 5 g19, or buying a gen 3 g23 from my uncle.

So what's your preferred generation?

DubC-Hicks

My favorite is the Gen 4. I like the grip texture, backstraps, enlarged mag release, and I feel like the dual recoil spring helps soften recoil a touch. I'm also a fan of the finger grooves on the 4s over the 3s. And the gen 4 takes most of the currently available aftermarket accessories, but the gen 5 stuff is starting to come out now too.

Siggy-06

Gen 3 here. I never cared for the new grip texture on the Gen 4/5's, or needed the extra back straps. My Gen3 23 has run like a top for 7+ years now.

I 'll go with the G19 4th gen. Since my hands are on the medium to slightly smaller, the gen 4 fits me perfectly. I did not change the straps for there was no reason to do so. I tried the gen 3 & did not like it as much.
What are you looking to do with it? Carry 24/7 or hunting or home defense or all 3?
I do not hunt so 2 of the 3 fits my needs. Best of luck.

Jacket67

I have a shield 9mm right now as my only handgun, so I want a mid/full size double stack more for HD and hunting. I will still carry the shield because it is just unnoticeable by myself or anyone else, regardless of what I'm wearing. I'm leaning towards either a glock 19, or 23 because that mid-size package is what I'm looking for right now. I like the g17/g22 looks better, but I'd never carry the thing and I at least would have the ability to carry the g19/g23 should I feel the need to.

If I buy new, I'll stick with 9mm and get a 19 or even the 19x. But if I choose to buy my uncle's g23 he never uses, I would get it for MUCH cheaper than anything I'd buy in-store just because he'd sell it for so cheap. I'm good with either 9mm or 40cal, so caliber preference doesn't really matter to me. As far as I'm concerned, they are close enough in price and performance that I don't really care which I have.

As much as I love S&W, I just feel like I need to own a Glock simply because of the aftermarket and availability of anything I'd ever need for it.

Siggy-06

I'd wait for the Gen 5 Glocks to be on the market a little bit longer for all the bugs to be worked out before purchasing. You might want to consider the new M&P 2.0 Compact. Same size and capacity as the Glock 19, and it will have/has plenty of aftermarket support. The M&P line has a proven track record, though not as long as a Glock. M&P9c's(non 2.0) are selling under $350 online, and are excellent pistols.

Jacket67

I love S&W (hence my first gun being a shield) but I'm curious about the cost of ownership and the practicality of owning one vs a glock. By that I mean magazine price differences and a range of options. How do the new 2.0s stack up?

I've held the full size and compact and they do feel great, but again, I'm stuck on the idea of the glock being more practical. Thoughts?

TunnelRat

You can find M&P mags for similar prices to Glock. Plenty of holster and sight options too. I don't think I could say it's any less practical.

I've owned all the generations. I have a 1000+ through my Gen 5 currently, it seems pretty solid and I don't see a lot of bugs. That said it doesn't seem notably better than the Gen 3s I still have or the Gen 4s I've had. With all the deals on the other gens currently I'd probably pick up one of those if you go the Glock route. I think I'd go Gen 4. I prefer the way the Gen 4 does the stippling in the finger grooves.

FrankenMauser

I liked the world better before plastic. :rolleyes:

If you prefer I be serious.... Gen 4/5 I guess, with the interchangeable back straps.

JDBerg

Gen3 17 & 19, Gen4 21. I might get another 26 if the price of the Gen5 drops to within reason, or if I come across a decent used but LN Gen3 or 4. I have a Walther PPS-M2 that I really like, that fills the role of a small EDC very nicely, so I’m real interested in the new Walther PPQ SC.

IMightBeWrong

Gen 5. Finally got a more durable finish, people aren’t reporting problems right out of the gate, ambi control options, good grip texture, no finger grooves. It’s not perfect but it’s the most functional iteration so far IMHO. I would have preferred magazine stripping cuts in the sides rather than the front strap and to get rid of the bevel in the magazine well but that’s just me. The cut serves its purpose for double feeds.

I haven’t bought one yet, though. With every new polymer, striker-fired pistol to come to market it gets harder for me to justify Glock purchases. I’m really happy with my voluntary upgrade P320 and don’t see myself carrying a Glock at all with the SIG in my EDC.

BigJimP

( 0 for me too )....but if I had to have one it would be a Gen 5 because of the improved trigger ..../ I have fired a lot of their guns, I just don't like anything poly...but they aren't bad guns.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I love my Gen 4. Never liked Glocks at all until I borrowed a buddy's Gen 3 (I think) for a few weeks a few years back. That said, if I had an option to get a Gen 3 "MUCH cheaper," as the OP describes it, I'd be sorely tempted to go that route. Honestly, it would depend on which Gen fit my hands better more than anything else.