Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Turkey

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • None Of The Above

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roy reali

What is your favorite game bird to eat? I thought this would be an interesting poll with all the seasons getting ready to open around the country.

Deerhunter

I like duck. That so far has been my favorite. I so like pheasant though.

I cooked goose once (from PA) and it was really bad. How do you cook it so it isn't tough?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've cooked a lot of deer, javelina, dove and quail. One wild turkey. The key seems to be slow cooking and making sure the meat doesn't dry out during the process. Basting on larger portions; bacon-wrapping on little birds.

Kreyzhorse

I've had dove, quail and turkey. Out of those, I think bacon wrapped dove breast cooked over an open fire with pepper and garlic is my favorite tasty fowl.

Bones

KFC, :eek: thats why I only shoot skeet, trap, and clays. No one will expects you to pick them up, and take them home. Doesn't seem right to kill something and leave it to rot on the ground. Same thing for any other game animals, but I will shoot prairie dogs. :D No expects you to pick them up.:D

Scorch

I love to eat quail. I must admit, it's more for nostalgia and the fun of the hunt than the taste or quality of the meat, but I just love them. I hunted a lot of quail over the years, over some great (and some not so great) dogs.

A lot of good bird hunting spots have disappeared over the years. I used to hunt deer and quail on the hill over what is now Capitol Expwy in San Jose, CA, within sight of the SC County Fairgrounds. Then someone buried it under tacky little houses. Something you'll identify with, roy: I used to hunt quail on the property at the corner of N Virginia St and McCarran Blvd in Reno.

reloader28

I voted pheasant cause "chuckars" aint on your list. Chuckars (partridge) are very good and I would've voted for it. Never tried quail or dove.

Goose is plain nasty. We grind ours up and make jerky with it, unless we can find someone that wants it.

plumbernater

Dove of course, just the breast breaded and fried just a little. Take them out of the pan. Make gravy from the drippings Put them back in the gravy finish cooking. While all this is going on be cooking some grits. Once the grits are done, lay some of those breast in a pile of grits cover with gravy and enjoy with a big ol glass of ice tea. AH sweet ambrosure

FALacy

Anyone in here who says goose in nasty just plain doesn't know how to cook it. I know they will likely disagree, but I've prepared goose for people who claim they despise wild game and they could have sworn they were eating beef.. Tender beef at that. If you're looking for a recipe I'd be happy to share, but please don't write it off as nasty.

With that said, ruffed grouse is possibly my favorite, with a close second being pheasant, followed by a mallard stuffed with onions, hot peppers, and apple slices (to keep moist) and then wrapped in tinfoil and slow cooked in the coals of a campfire.