Favorite economic AR-15 HD/CQC sight

Bill Daniel

Thinking of assembling an AR-15. This will be an economy build and would like a good but economic sight. Any tried and true favorites.
Thanks,
Bill

denvernoob

Honestly, on the economic side for HD/cqc - I would stay with irons that have a large aperture 0-2 ring. I tried a couple cheap red dots and I never felt comfortable with them.

I have to add... I'm doing a cheap build myself. Check out CDNN. They got chrome lined barrels for $99 right now!

dahermit

I assembled one using a complete upper from Palmetto Arms and a lower kit to construct a facsimile of an M4 Carbine.

Last edited:

doofus47

depends what you want as "cheap." I have a Burris Fast Fire 3 that I use for chasing deer in timber. That's as close to CQX as I get, but it is good for me.

kymasabe

I'm running a Sig Romeo4c on my AR right now, wasn't budget red dot when I bought it, but I'd consider a Romeo5 or Holosun if I needed another similar red dot.

Fishbed77

Aimpoint PRO.

There are cheaper red dot sights, but none that I would trust for defensive use.

If you are looking for good iron sights, there are many inexpensive and high quality options out there. Standard fixed A2 sights work great, as do the options from Daniel Defense, Troy, and others.

Sharkbite

Ive got an Aimpoint PRO on one of my SBR’s. Its a good optic, no doubt. The downside is battery availability. You cant just walk into Wally world and find the little 1/3N sitting on the shelf. At least i cant around me. I have to order and keep em stocked.

I also have a Sig Romeo 5, that runs on AAA. i like that one better. Circle/dot reticle, motion activated. Smaller and lighter then the PRO. Ive run it hard both taking and teaching classes... its earned my trust.

I'm going to put a plug in for a Bushnell TRS-25. At one time you could get them for $49 on Amazon or OpticsPlanet, now the best price is $63 on Ebay. However, if you live near a Bushnell Outlet, I just purchased one two weeks ago for $40 there. I've got them on two AR pistols with moderate shooting through both and neither has had an issue.

rickyrick

I’ve had some of the suggested cheap dots, they have been sturdy and work well. The problem is the random dead batteries when I take them out of the cabinet.
The likelihood that I’d find myself defending my home with an AR instead of a pistol is astronomically low... but two of my carbines I have switched back to iron sights, just in case.

riffraff

Sig Romeo 5s can be had for around $100 I believe (have not had to buy one in awhile though, check Ebay and Amazon) - my experience so far is they are solid..

Its impossible to beat a laser for speed - crimson trace has them which mount on a picatinny that are sweet on a light AR - they even get you to 100+ yards no problem.

MarkCO

Its impossible to beat a laser for speed - crimson trace has them which mount on a picatinny that is sweet on a light AR.
Takes a little work, but yes, once you get there. But there are some lighting conditions that mess them up, even the top of the line green ones.

My guns that I might shoot at night all have a laser on them. Target ID in low light is easier with a laser than a red dot optic. I think I have 6 of the CT laser modules.

riffraff

Takes a little work, but yes, once you get there. But there are some lighting conditions that mess them up, even the top of the line green ones.

My guns that I might shoot at night all have a laser on them. Target ID in low light is easier with a laser than a red dot optic. I think I have 6 of the CT laser modules.

Yes I should have qualified that - in the sun outside no good, though inside in well lit areas still blatantly visible .

DMK

I’ve had some of the suggested cheap dots, they have been sturdy and work well. The problem is the random dead batteries when I take them out of the cabinet.
The likelihood that I’d find myself defending my home with an AR instead of a pistol is astronomically low... but two of my carbines I have switched back to iron sights, just in case.

That's one of the reasons I've equipped my carbines with either an Aimpoint CompM2 or Primary Arms MD-ADS (Not the MD-RGB) red dot. 50,000 hours battery life even when left on 24/7. Change the battery every presidential election.

I've never had battery issues with the above two sights. I've never had to use Primary Arms lifetime warranty on these sights either.

rickyrick

Aimpoint CompM2 or Primary Arms MD-ADS
I might actually give the PA MD-ADS a try, but for now, I’m not buying anything until everything gets back to normal and I come out of this on the other side still employed.

Bill Daniel

Thank you all for your suggestions. Will probably go with flip up irons at first and consider some of the other options, rds vs laser later.
Thanks and all the best,
Bill