Favorite carry loads for 40S&W and why

Noreaster

Interested in hearing what people like to feed their 40S&W for SD. I know some prefer the 180 grain and other advocate lighter bullets such as the 165, 155 or even the 135 grain. What influenced your decision the most, ballistics, accuracy, reliability or ability to get back on target.

Noreaster

Thanks Don. I think the original design of the 40S&W was a 180 grain pill. The 180 grain seems to be a solid performer but I've also heard good things about the 165 grain bullets. Some say the lighter bullets have more muzzle flip. I don't have much experience with anything other then the 180 grain loads.

Don Glock

true, most 165gr loads are loaded hotter, and most of the 155gr ones i've fired actually recoil the most. however, energy delivered is not a major factor in how effective a particular 40cal jhp will be. it's simply listed on the box as a marketing tool.

i do have some 155gr gold dots. those are one of the few (if not only) 155gr 40cal that penetrates 13+inches. they are definitely the hardest kicking 40cal i've fired.

check out the ATK LE website. the HST retains weight through hard barriers better than their bonded gold dot. expends to a wider diameter too. :)

Will Beararms

I am sorry but no .40 caliber loads are ineffective. The internet cowboys have deemed the .40 to be a useless caliber. I hate being the one to break the bad news to you. :D

180 JHP

batmann

I carry Double Tap 135 gr HP in my Glock 22. Low flash powder, above average balistics and, from my tests only, expands.

brmfan

Keep barrel length in mind

+1 for HST's, but for shorter barrels like my G23 I like the 155's. Plus, they seem to be much more accurate.

Jeff OTMG

RBCD 70gr TPD, blows holes through a USPS mail box, one side, and still performs on the other side of the steel. The 180gr FMJ bounced off. This was a demo in SLC, UT where the agency was issuing the FMJ for barrier penetration like for use in a road block situation.

ScottieG59

Speer Gold Dot 40 S&W 180 GR Hollow Point Short Barrel

My carry gun is usually a Glock 27. I think any 40 S&W will do the job, but Speer is carrier by a lot of law enforcement. I do not know if the short barrel version actually works better, but that is my current choice. It is not always easy to find, so I would go with the 180 GR HP carried by many police. Some other cartridge may be better, but I prefer to go with a known.

I know the flash can really mess up night vision and the short barrel tries to lessen the flash. Maybe it helps and maybe not. I do not get to do night fire where I now live. The last time I remember doing night fire was with a machine (M60) and I might as well have kept my eyes closed after the first burst. My spotter was all that kept me near the target. I could not even see the tracers.

Anyway, my guesstimate is that I should consider loosing night vision and that the 40 S&W round will over penetrate. That is why I went with the Speer Gold Dot 40S&W 180 Grain Short Barrel ammo (SPEER 23974 GLDDOT 40SW 180GDHPSB).

357 Terms

Gold Dot 155grn, outa a 3.8 XDm. Every one I have recoverd has expanded well and penetrated deep. That and they shoot great.

Cheapshooter

Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 180 gr.
The best accuracy of several brands, and bullet weights I've tried.
Good Ballistic gel performance tests.
Functions 100% in my S/A XD40 Subcompact

TheNocturnus

I have a magazine in my G22 right now loaded with Federal 180 gr HST JHP and my spare mag is loaded with 165 gr Hornady Critical Defense JHP rounds.