Favorite books?

Ed Dixon

What are some of your favorite (fiction or non-fiction) books on hunting and related topics -- pioneers, trappers, wilderness, guns, etc.?

MP-44

HORN OF THE HUNTER, Robert Ruark
WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER, W.D.M. Bell
AFRICAN GAME TRAILS, Teddy Roosevelt
All of P.H. Capsticks books
NINE MANEATERS AND ONE ROGUE, ???
THE RIFLE: AND ITS DEVELOPEMENT FOR BIG GAME, Truesdell
A SPORTING CHANCE, Mannix,
MANEATERS OF KUMAON, Corbett

Just to name a few.

JB in SC

"Hunting with the Twenty-Two", C.S. Landis
"The Big Game Rifle", Jack O'Conner
"Sheep and Sheep Hunting", Jack O'Conner
"Ends of the Earth", Roy Chapman Andrews
"East of the Sun and West of the Moon", Theodore and Kermit Roosevelt

Not really gun related, but very entertaining, "Dragon Hunter, Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asiatic Expeditions", Charles Gallenkamp

MP-44

I was dissappointed in Chapman's TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH. It seems like half the book he just wanted to brag about his social life in China.

Another good book is Peter Flemings BRAZILIAN ADVENTURE.

HankB

AFRICAN RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES by John "Pondoro" Taylor.
PONDORO by John "Pondoro" Taylor.
SAFARI RIFLES by Craig Boddington.
THE SHAMBA RAIDERS by Bruce Kinloch
AFRICAN GAME TRAILS by T. Roosevelt
A HUNTER'S WANDERINGS IN AFRICA by F.C. Selous
All of W.D.M. Bell's books, several of Capstick's books, and a couple by Stewart Edward White.

My absolute favorites, though, are the journals I wrote about my own hunting. They're pretty tame compared to the above, and based on a lot - I mean, a WHOLE LOT - less time "in country" but, doggone it, they're mine.

MP-44

HankB, Thats some good choices. I forgot about White & Selous. I made a list of hundreds of African & Asian titles and stated to check them off as I read them. Needless to say I lost the list.
Another excellent book is "BOOK OF THE LION" by Pease.

BTW, Does anyone know the title of a book written in the 1920s about American hunting dogs that were taken to Africa to hunt the big cats? I think the pack belonged to a man named Raines. But I can't remember the author or title. That was some good reading.

KYE-OAT

Not as much Africa in my library...

......while I really enjoy the thrilling tales of Corbett and Capstick, I enjoy reading about hunting, trapping, etc ...that I, myself, might be able to enjoy...instead of the whole "armchair" thing.
I have enjoyed "Shots at Big Game" by Craig Boddington, "HighPower Rifle" by G.David Tubbs and the encyclopedic "Trapping NorthAmerican Furbearers" by Stanley Hawbaker.......most all the trapping books by Charles Dobbins are real informative, too. ' Course I wasn't to clear on if these was s'posed to be educational or entertaining...but I guess along with a real love for the outdoors, these two (school & fun) get mingled together.

Wildwilley

Books

Terry Johnston-Carry the Wind Series- I think there are five in all.
Forty Years of the Life of a Hunter-Meshack Browning
Zane Grey-The Fort Henry Saga
Camron Judd- The Overmountian men series.
Anything about Lewis Wetzel-Bill Hitzen writes a good one called Border wars on the upper Ohio.
Any Louis Lamore-Gotta love the Sackett's
Any early frontier history
A real goodn' Is the Longhunt. Death of the Buffalo east of the Mississippi.

boogerbawb

Lots of good calls already, guys, but I feel you have been neglecting the most experienced, realistic and true-to-life outdoor writer of them all....PATRICK F. McMANUS!:D