Favorite bipod/shooting supports?

CC268

I just thought I would ask what your guys' favorite bipod/shooting supports are for some hunting and long range target shooting?

I have a BlackHawk Sportster 13"-23" as I need something that will work for both the prone and sitting position for hunting. To be honest I wish I would have got a Harris, as the BlackHawk seems a bit heavy and I don't care for the traverse feature that much. I know some people like those shooting sticks as well.

The Stoney Point quick detachable bipod looks awesome as well, but the sizes are really weird.

I've never used shooting sticks but often thought I should give them a go. I've always managed to get by with my bipod, my backpack or just shoot standing.

I've got a Harris which I love, I used to be a Versapod person, but the Harris is so nicely built and solid, yet extremely light and is properly quick detachable.

I'd say make a set of sticks, give them a go and if you like them either make some better ones or buy some. Of you don't end up liking them, I think you would be happy if you purchased a Harris.

CC268

Yea I literally had a Harris bipod in my hand at the store, but I just wasn't sure I wanted to pay the $120 or whatever it was. Looking back I should have just bought the Harris. The Blackhawk bipod is pretty heavy.

I am really curious to see how people like those shooting sticks...in some ways it would seem nice to not have the extra weight on your gun and just carry the sticks in your bag, but it may be a bit of a hassle too.

I find my Harris doesn't make the rifle any worse than of I had a larger scope instead of my relatively lightweight one.

That being said, I don't have a 23" one.

Sticks would be good of you would often hunt in large grassy flat areas I'd find.
Any other terrain you can generally find a way to shoot prone, unless you need to take a fast shot in which case you would probably be close enough to shoot standing.

I've always wanted to try sticks too, but I doubt theyd be stable enough for my varmint shooting needs, and I hunt larger game in fairly thick bush so it's either standing or you have enough time to find a good prone position.

CC268

Yea see a huge majority of the predator hunting I do is all taller yellow grass...so you really can't shoot prone...now deer and elk hunting would be a bit different.

I should probably just get some sticks like the Primos Trigger Sticks and then have my bipod...have the best of both I suppose.

CC268

Monopod or Bipod Trigger Sticks?

I am getting some Primos Trigger Sticks and I am wondering what you guys prefer...the monopod or bipod or tripod?

Doyle

If you intend to actually hit anything, get the bipod. With a monopod, the stick helps to avoid up and down movement but it actually accentuates side-to-side and front-to-back movement. With a bipod, the sticks control both up and down and side-to-side leaving the shooter to control front-to-back. If you have a good seat, you can set up with the legs sloping slighly forward and then lean into the stock and you'll get a rock-steady lockup.

I've got a different brand of collapsable bipod sticks. I wish now I had waited until the Primos came out. Mine do the job but adjusting them is too slow. With the trigger stick version, you can adjust on-the-fly.

CC268

Yea I figured the bipod would be the way to go. Right now I have a bipod attached to my rifle, but it is heavy and kind of a PITA

Doyle

Let me tell you a true story that I personally witnessed. My hunting buddy is a very good shot - much better than I am. He had picked up a new Weatherby Vanguard at Wallyworld just in time for hunting season. After using a 100 yd range to do the original sight-in, we wanted to see what it would do at long range.

The hunting lease we were using at the time had one big long pasture that we could use as a range. From one end to the other, it was a measured 490 yds. The only thing we had available for a shooting bench was a rusty old lawn chair. He sat in the chair and set the rifle on top of the shooting sticks (he carries the same brand of sticks that I do). I watched him place 4 shots into a group the size of my fist at that 490 yds using just those shooting sticks and a chair.

Yea - they'll work for hunting too.

Last edited:

CC268

Yea honestly I figure if I am target shooting I am shooting off my pack in the prone position anyways....out hunting it isn't as easy to be in the prone, but if I can be...I again use my pack. The sticks would be for those sitting or standing shots. I think that the sticks should work really well I just would like to know if people prefer the monopod, bipod, or tripod versions.

I will say the tripod version would be a huge advantage because it does allow you to use it as a tripod for binoculars...but I can see it being more of a pain in the butt for shooting.

Toolman

I use a Harris bi-pod and also a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod. The Harris is used if sitting on the ground with short grass. The Deadshot is used for long range, taller grass. I like being able to balance the rifle & move all around. My Varmint rifles work well with this set up.

CC268

Yea this thread really isn't about bipod vs. shooting sticks. I was really trying to decide between the trigger stick monopod, bipod, or tripod.

Lucas McCain

I have the old style Harris bi-pod. It don't have the adjustable knob like the new one. It was either 13" 0r 23". I took my dremel tool and put a single small hole in the extendable legs at 17" and 20". That enables me to us it in a wider range of elevations and terrain. I have 2 other Harris bi-pods and 1 B-square bi-pod. but the modified 13"-23" is my most used one now.
Funny thing about bi-pods; How come you never see used ones at sales or gun shows or attached to used rifles? They have sold millions of them.

CC268

Well this thread has kind of gone off topic of what I was really looking for, but I guess at this point I will lean towards the bipod configuration over the monopod or tripod...

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I have a Primos mono-pod trigger stick and Stoney Point detachable bipod.

I much prefer the bipod. Having it attached to your gun makes it much more stable, for one thing.

Plus, I've found that the trigger sticks adjustability isn't what it's cracked up to be. Precise control is very tricky. It's much easier to just move the bipod legs to raise or lower.

Doyle

Brian brings up something I should have mentioned. A lot depends on how you actually hunt. Are you in a very open area where you are going to just drop prone and shoot or are you setting up in a ground blind to wait?

CC268

I will be honest...I just went to Cabelas and played around with both. I don't think I am sold on them. It seems like the monopod would easily be the quickest to get ready, the bipod seemed like it might be more to get setup.

I just feel like carrying around long sticks like that would be an extra thing for me to carry, whereas I bipod is easily attached or detached and is on the rifle.