Favorite albums to shoot by:D

echo3mike

Concentrating too much while I'm shooting to notice, even if I wasn't wearing MY EAR PROTECTION.

I have noticed that my handloads work better when I listen to Frank Sinatra or Wagner while I prep them. Go figure.

Christopher II

You know, I was thinking last night of posting this very question. Strange...

Anyway, it varies depending on what type of shooting I'm doing.

IDPA or USPSA - Mostly progressive rock, metal, and neotech. Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Lacuna Coil, Illusion of Safety, Unlight, Scanner, Fluke, Vanessa Mae, Boy Hits Car, lots of others.

Bullseye or DCM Rifle - Classical and ambient. Mozart, Bach, Andres Segovia, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, John Dowland, Brian Eno (not Brian Enos.)

Cleaning guns, reading gun-related literature, or surfing TFL - Mix and match the above. I've got Boy Hits Car on the MP3 player right now.

- Chris

38Mike

I tried to reload while listening to "Car Talk"; had to quit, was laughing so hard I couldn't concentrate...those guys are nuts :D

Mike M.

If I had an old fashion propaganda truck equipped with loadspeakers...

it would be Herbert von Karijian leading the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in "Prussia's Glory."

sapienza

Feels really good to listen to The Matrix soundtrack when I'm shooting, but then I've got a hookup in my car so I just plug a laptop in and all my MP3s come out through the speakers (I shoot out in the boonies in the National Grasslands and there's not a soul for miles).

Depending on what I'm shooting I use a playlist that's heavy on the punk and industrial (Tool, Powerman 5000, Senser, Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphys, Ten Foot Pole, The Clash, Tilt), with a good dose of stuff I like off the local college radio station, too. Sometimes I'll bring out the Beethoven, though. Preferably the 5th symphony.

sapienza

AR-10

First off, I'd like to point out that anyone who uses the word "ALBUM" while discussing music is incredibly ancient, which would make them at least as old as me.:D

That said, when I'm driving to the range, it's probably;
AC/CD
Metalica
Pink Floyd
Kinks
Golden Earing
Cheap Trick

or something like that. Lately it's been a lot of AC/DC. Shoot to thrill,play to kill.

Long Path

For me, I find that I have the last song I heard in the car on the way over playing in my head while shooting. The last IDPA shoot that I did well at, I had Wiseguys playing in my head: "Start The Commotion", "The Antidote", etc. Then maybe some Brave Combo, They Might Be Giants, and the like. And sometimes, there's the really silly stuff that gets in your head that you can't get out, that controls the rhythm of your moving from target to target. I'm talking stuff like Snap "I Got The Power". I'm talking Thomas Dolby's "Blinded Me With Science. I'm talking the Drew Carey show theme "Cleveland Rocks." And why fight it? Run with it. Shoot to the rhythm!

Last practice session that I did well on, I had Johnny Cash playing in my head during some sighting-in. Then tightened it to Penguin Cafe Orchestra and Kronos Quartet while shooting rifle.

For shotgunning, I've gotta hear something like Southern Culture On The Skids. "Soul City" or "Dirt Track Date." Fast and loose. When into a good swing, I'll downshift to the Old 97's and try to get more precise; their _Fight Songs_ album plays well to shotgunning.

For reloading, I tend to like National Public radio playing while I drink good coffee, but that's when I'm alone. Otherwise I'm chatting with my dad.

For gun-cleaning, it depends on where I am. In the field, something light and even humourous is the way to go: Moxy Fruvous (yes, I know they're a bunch of liberal Canucks, but I still like their music) or Trout Fishing In America, maybe. At home, something with good guitar work that strums along is preferred, like Leo Kotke (gotta love "Jack Gets Up", or "Armadillo Vaseline Machine Gun"!).

One of my favorite things about my new electronic earmuffs is that I can listen to music that's actually playing from my truck while I shoot at my private range, as opposed to years of my "interior" neurological CD player. ;)

(So there, Dennis!! :p )

--L.P.

C-Note

Off the top of my head:
Tool, Godsmack, Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Leslie West, Pantera, Freddie King, Soundgarden, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Fuel, Lonnie Mack, Ronnie Earl, Sonic Mayhem, Stone Temple Pilots, Black Crowes, and oh yeah, more Tool (they truly rock).

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Just about anything that's Country & Western. However, I do prefer Patty Loveless :)

What's the matter? You've never seen an Asian guy covered with tattoos, toting big 1911's that love country music? :D

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
I do believe long-range precision work could be well accompanied by Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams are Made of These.

Thibault

ArmySon: lemme think. Mmmmmm, nope. Not yet. Perhaps I was just not paying attention...

Until I finally have my Borg-like neuro-implant to interface with my CD player, I rely on the Long Path technique to listen to Tom Waits, Sean Phillips, Red Hot Chili Peppers, France Gall (kitschy 60's teenage pop French singer, don't knock it until you've tried) althought as soon as her tapes are playing in my truck, my buddies threaten to jump (?).

For cleaning and sanding, scraping, shaping (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77638) and going nuts, some vintage Nina Hagen, Leonard Cohen, the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, the older Black Sabbath albums...

Anyway, rather twisted way to indroduce such a topic...
:cool: