Favorite AA#9 and 2400 loads?

totaldla

I've got some new powder to try. I'll be pushing 240gr lswc and 240gr XTP. I'll be running these out of a S&W329pd. If anyone has a favorite recipe using these two powders, please share. Thanks.

totaldla

No worries. I was just hoping some long time users of these two powders would share a little insight. I was making a bulk powder purchase and I decided to pick up a pound of each.

Doodlebugger45

I am still experimenting with those 2 powders myself. It took FOREVER to find a jug of either one around here. I have loaded some 2400 in 454 Casull cases but haven't fired them yet. As for the #9 powder, I thought it might be the ticket for fairly slow .45 Colt loads in my fairly weak 45 revolver. Wrong. I loaded 15 gr under a 250 gr cast bullet. It shot very pleasantly from my Charles Daly, but it was SO dirty at those mild pressures. It fouled the barrel-Cylinder gap in less than 50 rounds so that the cylinder was locking up (it is a very tight gap on that revolver though). I know the #9 powder has lots of fans, but be warned, it is not meant to operate in the low pressure domain I guess. It was turning the upper half of those 45 Colt cases completely black with soot.

vladan

#9 need to burn at fairly high pressure. I load .44 magnum with 240g XTP over 20.5g of AA#9 with standard primers which is half a grain under max according to my manual. It is fairly potent load but little milder than full house W296 loads. Practically no flash, very clean and the bark is bit sharper than typical .44 full house boom.

RWJOHN

I loaded some 2400 in my 45 Colt and found them to be very dirty as well. In my .357, 2400 works great. I can't remember what primer I used. Probably a CCI 300. I think a magnum primer would be much better.

Peace

RJ

Nomadicone

I use19.0 to 19.5 gr of 2400 in my 629 Mountain Gun with a 240 cast and it is pleasant to shoot and as I recall they run around 1200 fps which is plenty hot for anything I need. Very accurate too.

Sevens

Okay, I've been using 2400 to great effect in .30 Carbine -- 12.5 grains of 2400 behind a Berry's 110-gr plated bullet, 1.655" COAL. This is not a max load in .30 Carb, but runs like a champ in my Blackhawk.

If you ramp it up any, the Blackhawk will be MORE than happy to safely launch them, this SOB is large and durable and won't balk. The problem, however, is that it won't give up the brass if you do. Might make good use of a polish job in the chambers... even factory .30 Carb don't like to extract easily.

But this 12.5 grain load is sweet all the way around and horribly accurate.