Favorite 686 barrel length?

Best balance in a magnum comes from a length of....

• 2"

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • 3"

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 4"

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • 5" and up

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters

PythonGuy

6" revolvers for me although, I only shoot .38 specials not magnums loads. I like the balance and handling characteristics of that size as I only target shoot and never carry. Size should be driven by intended purpose of the gun, carriers will prefer shorter barrels.

Grayfox

Since the question specified balance, I went with 5" and up.
I have a particular fondness for 5" barrels. I think they are the ideal all around barrel length. :D Unfortunaely, most gun makers don't see it that way. :mad:

cheygriz

If you want to have the full benefit of the .357 Magnum cartridge, you need a MINIMUM of 6 inches of barrel. (Remember the originals were 8 3/8 inch)

Russ5924

Have never liked the weight of a heavy long barrel or the full lug barrel Most of what I own are in the 4" but do own a few 6" and 8". :)

trespass

3 inch

few 3 inch guns are out there..the 65 is in regular production in this length still and are some special edition 66's..and some very few 686 and 681 models...advantage over the 2 1/2inch is a full length ejection rod...and, for me, the weight and balance of the 3 inch is just remarkably comfortable in the hand without sacraficing much in size and concealment. I'd recommend anyone who gets a chance to work with a 3 inch S&W try it, they might find a new favorite for general duty use.

Pezo

3", 3", 3" :) my favorite , 4" would be next. I beleive shorter than 3" or longer than 4" are special purposes such as concealement for the shorter and target/ hunting for the longer barrels.

115grfmj

I like....

the versatility of the 4", for me it the one.
attachment.php

DHart

WHile the 6" is great for long distance precision shooting (owing to the longer sighting radius) I find the 6" to be much more cumbersome and slower to maneuver than the 4". For general use, I think the 4" is superb and the 3" is a very close second. And 2.5" is just pretty dang cool. I don't have any pics of my 4" at present, but here are my 3" and 2.5":

686-4_RF6083.jpg

M686_1162LF.jpg

PythonGuy

Love those Morado grips, look great! I sent my 686 and 66 out to S&W for a tune up and refinishing. I had sent out a couple of my Colts to the factory and had such good results I decided to try the same with my S&W's. Each gun will be taken apart, cleaned and tuned, then they will refinish and replace any parts as needed on the action. The turn around time is currently 6 weeks, although I'm anxious to get them back, I can wait if the work is worth it. Both are 6", of course. :cool:

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All-

Laura, my favorite barrel length in a S&W 686 is the 6" model. "Tack Driver"
is words probably overly used, but its true in the case of this weapon. :D

Best Wishes,

Mastrogiacomo

The 4" is enough gun for me in terms of the barrel length. I'm not sure how I'd handle 5 and up, heavy as it is. Looking foward to the 2.5" myself at the moment and thinking of getting a pair of Craig Spegel grips for it too. :)