Favorite .40 Bullets

ligonierbill

Just started shooting this caliber. What is your favorite target/practice bullet and SD bullet? Personal advice, forum search, and loading manuals have me convinced to load Power Pistol.

DWARREN123

I like the Magnus 165gr and 180gr JHP's, also the Rainier 165gr and 180gr Plated Hollow Points.
The Magnus 180gr JHP has become my favorite all around bullet.
I get them from MidSouth Shooters Supply.

abber

Rainier

I use a Rainier 155 grain plated flat nose bullet over 5.0 grains of Universal Clays. Cost was a major factor here. I got 3000 of the Rainiers from Midway for under 300 bucks, with free shipping. I have tried them with 5.0 grains of Universal, as well as 5.5 grains, and 6.0 grains. The 5.0 and 5.5 grain loads were fine, but I think the 6 grain loads may have been splitting the plating, because I would get an occasional flyer that didn't even hit the paper at 7 yards. I am not a fantastic shot, but at 7 yards I can stay inside of 3 inches with my Sigma 40, with good loads. I have settled on the 5.0 grain load. It is pretty tame, but still feels good, and cycles the action well.

D. Manley

Favorite .40 Bullets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just started shooting this caliber. What is your favorite target/practice bullet and SD bullet? Personal advice, forum search, and loading manuals have me convinced to load Power Pistol.

I've been testing out a bunch of very mild .40 caliber loads range loads for a few weeks. So far, these are pretty accurate and very nice shooting. All function a G-35 with stock spring. These were worked up using a 180 grain Rainier RN/FP @ 1.125 crimped .4225.

3.5 grains Titegroup
3.3 grains Clays
3.9 grains WST
4.1 grains N-320
4.5 grains Universal

All grouped exceptably well with the edge to N-320. The TG load is my "pick of the litter" for all around range use but if the smell don't bother you, WST is nice. If you choose to use Power Pistol, 4.5 grains under a 180 grainer should cycle the gun and run just over 700 FPS. You can find a few ".40 Lite" loads, HERE.

As far as a defense bullet goes, I prefer to use factory Winchester Rangers or Federal HST.

165 grain Ranier, I can get 2000 of'em for $205 with free shipping from midwayusa. I load either 7 grains of Longshot, or 6 grains of Unique, both are excellent, soft shooting, accurate loads. Longshot burns cleaner, no doubt about that, but I still like Unique.:)

WESHOOT2

after a few trillion (yes, I know that's a big number)

Might I suggest:

Rainier 180g TCJ-FP
OAL 1.130"+/-.005"
6.0g Power Pistol
sized case
finish w/LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die

(can go to 5.2g for reduced-recoil load; 5.4g for a bit more oomph, and 6.0g makes Major from most barrel lengths)

ligonierbill

Thanks to all. I load hard cast in .45 Colt, and it looks like the ticket for .40 S&W. And about the only way I will save much over Wally World. Got Winchester white box for 31 cents each here in boxes of 100.

smaj100

40 sw ammo

I'm in lower alabama unfortunately. I just found Blazer brass 180gr fmj at my walmart for $12 box of 50. Thats the best deal i've found locally and online. I'm waiting for "santa" to bring me my new loadmaster in 380 & 40. :D