faux Chinese Hi-Power

tankertom

Harley,

I have seen a refinished Inglis Hi-Power with tangent sights and the shoulder stock at a gun show. The gun is refinished and the stock iron matches the serial number of the pistol. The stock has a shiny varnish and is marked made in Canada. The slide has 2 chinese characters stamped on it.

I have heard it is possible that the stock is a repro and may make this into an illegal SBR. Is it also possible the pistol is a repro with these markings?

Thanks,

Tom

The issue had been addressed in an ATF memo. You may want to cruise to their website to find it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

James K

Member In Memoriam
The BHP made by Inglis for the Chinese and having the original shoulder stock/holster has been determined by the BATF to be curio or relic and removed from the purview of Title II of GCA68. In other words, it is a pistol; the stock is irrelevant. Note that this, AFAIK, this is the only BHP involved in the ruling. This is the same ruling that was made in the case of some Luger and Mauser pistols with original stocks or stock holsters. These determinations are very precise, affecting only the specific combinations described.

If the pistol you describe was openly displayed I would assume it was one of the ones described, or was registered as a SBR.

Jim