Father's Day Present?

kaylorinhi

Good evening, I am thinking about getting this for my Dad. Both him and my carry .38 Spl/ .357 Mag revolvers and I would like to get him a rifle chambered in the same caliber. He has made mention of this many times but just has never done anything about it!

The Rifle will get minimum use, sighted-in and maybe 50 rounds a year, if I come-by to help! It would a snake or rabbid dog kine.

If you have any FIRST hand knowledge of this Company and Model please Throw it out there?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56500

Mike

oneoldsap

You couldn't give me a Rossi of any type! Buy the Marlin and help support the U.S. economy and your fellow Americans !

aarondhgraham

I've fired many rounds through that Rossi,,,

I don't own it but have access to and full use of it,,,
It's a "posse gun" used in SASS matches.

It functions just fine is the best thing I can say about it,,,
That sounds like "damning with faint praise",,,
There's nothing special about the gun,,,
It's adequately serviceable.

Here's an alternative for you,,,
A H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum,,,
It's a break-open single shot that is darned accurate.

You stated that the rifle would get minimal use,,,
Why not pay minimal price as well,,,
This one goes for $211.00.

Add a $100.00 Bushnell scope,,,
You will have a very fine performer.

I happen to like single-shot rifles,,,
They are not every man's cup of tea though,,,
I just thought I would throw it out there as an alternative.

P.S. I've shot that Marlin levergun that was suggested as well,,,
The Marlin rifle is head and shoulders above the Rossi,,,
The Henry has the smoothest action of them all.

kaylorinhi

Suggestion's and Opinion's

Gentlemen, thank you all for bopth the Opinion's and the Alt. Suggestion's, I will start looking into the Winchester's and the Marlin, as my father actually talked about the Win 94, that will now be first on the list.

IMI as in D.E. and B.E. Fame... interesting!

Single Shot, never even crossed my mind. Thank you for that Direction!

Mike

ps, My father bought me a very used and older, 194?, maker not remembered, .22/20g over under for my 12th Christmas and I figured it is time to repay the gift!

kaylorinhi

Update

OK, found a deal on a Marlin, so far, bedding still going.

Next-up would be the H&R .357/20g Combo, only about $280 for both barrels!

Mike

pythagorean

I think you're on the right track finding a lever chambered in the pistol cartridge. These rifles end up being shot more for fun than higher powered alternatives. Recoil is light, ammo is relatively inexpensive, accuracy with open sights is great, and the tube holds enough rounds to last all week so to speak.

James R. Burke

I myself would go with a Marlin. My cousin has one, and I make up her loads for deer season. So I got to shot it a bunch. Nice little rifle. Once she got the shot placement down, and letting some walk she could not get the placement on she started dropping them. I made sure to write on the box, and tell her, and her husband not to use them in there handguns. Just my thoughts I am sure there are a few nice one's out there that are just has good.

dreamweaver

the rossi is a replica of the 1892 winchester, "legal" for CAS. the only draw back to the rossi's is the trigger. kinda gritty out of the factory. smooths out after a couple hundred rounds. (at least it did on mine). i wouldn't hesitate to buy another considering the winchester 92's go for $1000+:eek:
but, my next lever gun will be a henry, made in the usa.
jmho