Fastest powder for short barrel big bore

mapsjanhere

I've been looking into minimizing powder waste from a 3" 44 mag, and the fastest powder I found published loads for so far is Unique. I know it's hard to get a 44 Mag perform out of this short a barrel, with standard factory load it barely beats a 44 spl from a 4-5" barrel. I'm trying to achieve about 1000 fps with a 240 gr without wasting most of the power (and recoil) to blow out unburned powder. If there are other calibers that give equal power out of a short barrel revolver without the fireball I'm open to suggestion too.

Jim Watson

Mason Williams (The gunwriter, not the guitarist.) once tackled the matter, although with a 2" .357, not a 3" .44. He settled on Blue Dot.

There are more powders on the market now and you could do a lot of shooting to pick something.

jmr40

If there are other calibers that give equal power out of a short barrel revolver without the fireball I'm open to suggestion too.

I'm trying to achieve about 1000 fps with a 240 gr without wasting most of the power (and recoil) to blow out unburned powder.

Not the answer you are probably expecting, but I have both a 3" S&W 629 and a 4.5" Glock 20. The Glock shoots 200 gr hardcast Double Tap ammo at 1300 fps from my gun. Although the barrel is 1.5" longer, it is an inch shorter overall and 3/4 lb lighter. Holds 2.5X more ammo and recoils less with a lot less muzzle blast.

I enjoy shooting both, but when I go hiking and feel the need for a lot of power in a small package the Glock goes. With a much longer barrel the 44 mag is in another league, but from small packages 10mm holds it's own.

Doyle

I've got a similar thread going for the exact same thing - but mine is a 5". I think I'm going to go with Titegroup. It's fast burning, there are lots of published loads with it in a .44 mag, and, best of all, my local dealer has some in stock (can't say that about any of the other choices listed).

T. O'Heir

Very much doubt you'll get 1,000 fps with a 240 out of a 3" barrel with any powder. Velocities aren't really high out of the 8.275" Hodgdon used for their testing. Highest start load is 1,219 fps with 9.0 of TiteGroup.

zxcvbob

Unique is not a bad choice. (also, surprisingly, Bullseye) Herco or AA#7 would probably be better. I haven't used HS-6 before, but it's about the right burn rate.

I really dislike Titegroup in revolver cartridges. You can't tell by eyeballing it if you have a half charge, full charge, or a double or more; they all look the same.

SSA

'Ballistics By the Inch' got 1120 fps with a 240 gr Hydra-Shock from a 3" S&W.
My 44s have 6" barrels. 1050-1100 fps is a light-to-medium load with Unique or HS-6 and a 240 gr cast bullet.
231 might do it.

Nick_C_S

Don't remember the details, but you might look up 800x and Blue Dot.

That would definitely be going the wrong way. Neither powder is suitable for your purpose - at all.

Unique may be your best choice - or something in the same burn rate range (AA#5, HS-6, Silhouette, BE-86, or the albeit notoriously flashy Power Pistol). Silhouette and BE-86 are flash suppressed propellants; so they would most obviously be worth looking into.

You could try something even faster (Nitro 100, AA#2, W231/HP-38, Bullseye, Red Dot), but getting them to punch a 240 grainer 1KFPS through a 3" bbl is a tall order and may impart more pressure than is safe.

As for load data for a given propellant: If you can't find anything, you may have to strike out on your own. Because I'm a "fast powder centric" loader, I've had to go it on my own a bunch of times. Start with very conservative charge weights and with lead slugs (they slide through the barrel easier; so they yield lower pressures when all else is equal). It can be a bit of a process and a chronograph is essential; but it can definitely be done.

mapsjanhere

Thanks for all the good hints. I was amazed that Alliant has a Red Dot 44 mag load, might add that to the mix. I'm not too married to the 1000 fps, more to the efficient use without fireball. If I wanted that I could carry a 500 S&W Alaskan.

jmr40 said:
Although the barrel is 1.5" longer…

Try measuring both the same way you would a rifle rather than the way a revolver is normally measured. You may be in for a shock.

Mapsjanhere,

QuickLOAD seems to think about any powder made can get you to 1000 fps without going over-pressure, including the ultra fast powders like Clays, N310, and R1. Alliant Red Dot looks like giving you the most case fill (about 2/3) for the velocity you are after. Of course, in a real gun with an actual barrel/cylinder gap, some pressure will be lost.

745SW

According to my Speer no. 13 Manual I don't see it happening, 240 gr. bullet going 1K fps using Unique out of a 3" bbl. Need to lower the bullet weight and/or use a slower powder.

Last edited:

745SW

Yes I see it in the Speer manual. I'm guessing the velocity lost would be 30% or more.

Last edited:

Doyle

In my Googling, I've found references to Vitavitori N340 and N350 being quite decent for mid-power .44 mag rounds. Both are medium fast powders and apparently both burn quite cleanly. Unfortunately, Vitavitori (of all flavors) seems to be quite scarce on dealer shelves.

ammo.crafter

Blue Dot

A while back "experts" were advising big bore handgun reloaders from using Blue Dot powder in the .41 mag.

Just passing this along.

SHR970

I would use AA#7 but the question is.. do you have it or can you get it?

What do you have.. and what can you get?
And the circa 1992-94 Hercules data is just fine to use. If you call Alliant, they will quote you that dayas for Red, Green Dot, & Herco.

mapsjanhere

jmg40 but when I go hiking and feel the need for a lot of power in a small package the Glock goes

This is for my hiking bear gun, but I never felt comfortable carrying a striker fired gun with a round chambered in a back pack/coat pocket. Probably means I'm outdated, but I can claim age by now.

Unclenick, thanks for the volume data, that makes it pretty attractive.