Fast Food in Florida

Dave P

Clean up that gene pool!

Latest data says manager is in the clear, as he should be.

Orlando Sentinel:

Men shot in pizza robbery identified
By Pamela J. Johnson
of The Sentinel Staff

Published in The Orlando Sentinel on July 14, 2000

Orange County sheriff's officials Thursday identified the pizza-parlor robber who was shot and killed by a restaurant manager this week as Reginald Lenorris Stokes.

He was shot in the head by a manager at Hungry Howie's Pizza & Subs, 6900 Silver Star Road, on Wednesday night.

Stokes, who died at the restaurant, had a criminal record in Orlando dating to 1995, including a charge of false imprisonment. He would have turned 18 next month.

Authorities said Stokes and Jeremy Rogers, 19, entered the pizzeria wearing bandannas over their faces and pointed a gun at an employee's head.

Stokes saw manager Mark Stanovich, 30, on the telephone behind the counter and hit him over the head with his weapon while Rogers went for the cash register, deputies and employees said.

Stanovich grabbed a gun from behind the counter and fired a single shot at Stokes. The manager then shot Rogers twice, in the neck and chest.

Rogers has not been charged in Wednesday's robbery. He was in critical condition Thursday night at Orlando Regional Medical Center. Rogers' criminal history includes charges of grand theft, cocaine possession, and a lewd and lascivious act on a child.

Stanovich, recovering Thursday at his Altamonte Springs apartment from injuries to his head, did not want to be interviewed.

Since 1994, Stanovich has shot suspects during two other robberies. In October 1994, he shot a robber in the chest with a .38-caliber gun. That suspect lived.

After that shooting, a shaken Stanovich said, "I never want to go through that again."

The restaurant manager began keeping a gun behind the counter after numerous robberies, employees said.

Before Wednesday, the most recent shooting at the business occurred early last year, when Stanovich shot a robber in the chest after he barged into the restaurant wearing a ski mask, pulled two employees to the floor and demanded money from the cash register. He also survived and was charged in the robbery.

"It's odd that we keep getting robbed because we never keep cash in the register,'' said a 20-year-old employee who did not want her name published.

Sheriff's officials said the shooting appeared to be justified, and a full investigation is pending.

Posted Jul 13 2000 10:50PM

David Scott

Well done, Mister Stanovich! Well done indeed! Nice shooting. A head shot to one guy, neck and chest to the other. Just proves "gun control is being able to hit your target".

I'm delighted that no one has said anything about this guy losing his job or franchise because he uses a gun to defend himself. From now on I patronize Hungry Howie's Pizza exclusively.

Maybe someone in the press will think about comparing this to the Wendy's robbery in NYC.

bestdefense357

Thanks for posting this article. In fact, you beat me to it! Somebody oughta give Stanovich a medal, and buy him a few rounds of ammunition. Robert

Satanta

I was never real impressed with a lot of the people in Florida....this guy changes that some but geeeezzz.....you'd think the BG's would get a clue?!!?!?

Hope the 2nd attacker bites it....child molester, no less.

Congrats to the manager...but I'sd think keeping the handgun ON him would be a bit better. The 4th robber may not give him a chance at the counter.