Fast Focus Eyepiece

Hunter Customs

I find it's getting harder to find rifle scopes with a locking ring on the eye piece of the scope, (what I prefer).

I have scopes that have the fast focus eyepiece and it seems with a little use they get easier to turn the eye piece out of focus when you are not wanting to.
So I came up with a solution to keep them in place or at least make it harder to move the eye piece out of focus.
I aquired a piece of inertube from a ten speed bike, the ones with the narrow wheels.
I cut the tube in one inch sections, put it over the eye piece, on to the main tube of the scope.
Once it's on the main tube I slide it back far enough to cover the gap between the main tube and the eye piece.
This actually serves two purposes, it locks the eyepice and also seals the gap between the eyepeice and the main tube.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

jmr40

Thanks, that is an excellent idea. I have some innertube around that I've made slip on grips for Glock pistols. I'll try this.

Picher

I severely dislike Butler Flip-up Scope caps and wouln't put one on any of my rifles, but I also don't hunt in the rain anymore.

Hunter Customs

A Butler creek flip-up rear cap will do the same thing

One of the scopes I put the inertube on came with the Butler creek flip up scope caps. They did not fit near as tight as the inertube. As a matter of fact while carrying the rifle slung over my shoulder the eye piece cap kept trying to work it's way off the scope also moving the eye piece out of focus.
The inertube is the best solution I've used yet.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

tim s

Why may I ask do you need to "focus" the eyepiece? It's there to set the reticle focus and if done properly you're done unless your eye changes with age. I can't remember ever having an eyepiece ever moving on it's own.

Hunter Customs

Why may I ask do you need to "focus" the eyepiece? It's there to set the reticle focus and if done properly you're done unless your eye changes with age. I can't remember ever having an eyepiece ever moving on it's own.

I agree with what you are saying, I have scopes with a ring that locks the eyepiece and the eyepieces on these scopes have never moved or needed moved in 30 plus years.
The problem arrises with the new scopes that do not have a ring to lock the eyepiece in place, these are advertised as "fast focus".
I believe it's just a way to make the scopes at less cost to the manufacture; I really don't care for the "fast focus" feature.
That being said it's getting harder to find scopes that have a locking eyepiece; because of the non-locking type is why I resorted to find a way to help keep the eyepiece in place once I had it focused.
So far the inertube rubber bands seem to accomplish what I needed.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

tim s

OK I'm with you. I'd give serious thought to backing them out and putting a dab of clear nail polish on the tube before readjustment, nothing will move, asthetically pleasing and easy to break free by hand.