fast fire range near dfw?? 500 + yard rifle??

zach_

Where can I shoot more than one round per second at a range near Dallas without taking a high dollar training course and/or joining a country club priced range? I really like the local ranges, but I want more shooting options.

Same question for a rifle range over 500 yards. Seems like new ranges are opening around here all the time. Every call to the newest facility, I hear the same requirements. Big money training and/or country club pricing.

Thank You

JohnKSa

Administrator
Target Master Indoor range in Garland does not restrict rate of fire in practice. There is no strict rate of fire limitation in their rules nor have I ever seen anyone actually told to slow down while on the range.

Here's what their rules say:
http://www.targetmasters.com/Ranges/RangeRules.aspx
"Never Rapid Fire in an uncontrolled manner"

They only go out to 50 yards for rifle.

For long range rifle and a little more flexibility in pistol training, you might contact TacPro in Mingus and see what they have to say.

zach_

Thanks JohnKSa, looks like you have been to Target Master. OTis that correct? I had planned to go there a few weeks ago when it rained on what was supposed to be a range day. Something came up, and I did not go. 50 yards indoor...... cool. How is the air there?

Have you been to Top Gun in Leonard, TX? Their membership pricing sounds reasonable.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've shot at Target Master a good deal. Their ventilation is just ok. It's about average or maybe a little below average for an indoor range.

I have not been to Top Gun in Leonard, TX, but I have spoken to some folks who have.

There is a qualification process if you wish to shoot beyond 100 yards, and I've talked to at least one person who said that he was never given the chance to qualify for the longer range shooting although he made it clear he wanted to. His impression was that you were unlikely to get the chance to qualify if you weren't a member. Their membership/qualification setup is a little unique.

Please note that Top Gun does not allow any FMJ ammunition on their range.

zach_

Thanks for the info. I heard from one person that non-member shooters are asked to give up their bench when a member shows up to shoot at Top Gun. That would not fly with me at all. I am not sure if I believe that story. The person telling the story was recruiting heavily for Jacob's Plain in Greenville. The place you mentioned in Mingus is too far away for me. I will try to make it over to Target Master next week. I am looking forward (BIG TIME!!) to more than 1 round per second. How bout them Cowboys!

JohnKSa

Administrator
Expect a wait if you go to Target Master on the weekend. You might get lucky, but these days it's pretty busy.

The 'Boys are freakin' me out this year. I predicted 8 & 8 at the beginning of the season--they're gonna have to lose a lot of games in a row to meet my prediction. :D

zach_

I try to go to ranges during the week if possible. I called target masters today at about 10:30. No answer on the phone, no message. I went to Eagle in Lewisville. As a member, I shoot for $10.

I am worried about the Cowboys. I think they were abducted by aliens. I wonder where the aliens found football players to replace them. They do look like a real team this year. Next week, Colt McCoy will start at QB for Washington against the Cowboys.