Fast Capture Pistol Firing

MPanova

I have seen a bunch of those types of videos but there all waaaaay to short. I want to see the full cycle of the slide.

NCHornet

There was one of these in the revolver section too. I think they are both blanks with no perceived recoil what so ever.

solz56

Interesting how much gas escapes from the revolver at the cylinder gap.
Yep. That was neat. It's probably not much more lost energy compared to the gases used to cycle the slide on a pistol, though.

elwaine

It's probably not much more lost energy compared to the gases used to cycle the slide on a pistol, though.
Correct me if i am wrong, but I thought the slide, in most semi-autos, was cycled via recoil energy and not by gas... although I seem to recall one or two designs that have gas operated slides.

solz56

Sorry. Maybe I confused the terms. But isn't some of the bullet's energy lost into the recoil that cycles the slide?

elwaine

But isn't some of the bullet's energy lost into the recoil that cycles the slide?
No. My understanding is that the recoil is the "equal and opposite" force - the reciprocal, as it were, to the energy that propels the bullet. There is no way to reduce that energy (for a given mass and charge), or to add it to the energy that propels the projectile. “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” The recoil energy is either transmitted to the shooter’s hand in full (as with a revolver), or a portion of it can be harnessed to cycle the slide on a semi-auto. Absorption of a portion of the recoil energy by the moving slide lessens the remaining recoil energy felt by the shooter, even though there is no loss of gas in the barrel of the semi-auto.

Felt recoil does not determine the velocity of the bullet. Given two guns of equal barrel length but of different weight, both firing the same weight bullet under the same charge, the muzzle velocity of each bullet will be the same from each gun, but the felt recoil will be greater in the lighter gun. However, the Total Recoil Energy is the same for each gun.

A gas operated recoil system actually bleeds off a small portion of the gas as the gas is propelled through the barrel. The energy of the escaping gas is absorbed by the bolt, or slide, as it travels rearwards. Both contribute to lessening felt recoil, but in this case, unlike a pure recoil operated semi-auto, energy is diverted from the job of pushing the bullet down the barrel. So in a gas operated recoil system, there is less energy to propel the bullet - but not because of a reduction in felt recoil, but to an actual loss of propellent (gas) energy.