Fanny Pack that doesn't scream "gun here!"

vito

When traveling in the summer, wearing only a t-shirt and cotton shorts, I thought of getting a fanny pack for concealed carry. But the ones I saw in the gun shop all are so obviously for a gun that its tantamount to open carry. Regular fanny packs are too flimsey to hold the gun even remotely securely. Does anyone know of a good fanny pack for carry, probably for a J frame S&W, that is sturdy enough yet does not tell the world that there is a gun inside?

MADISON

Fanny Pack that doesn't scream gun

I don't know of any fanny packs or vest that do not scream GUN.
I weigh about 160 pounds. Carrying a Glock 21 is not easy so, I bought a long button-up shirt to ware over my regular clothes. ...cover the holster with the shirt/T-shirt then cover them both with the cover shirt.

Manedwolf

Why not just a small messenger bag from Old Navy or someplace?

A lot have a good pouch in the back that will conceal the gun and let you access it quickly, and a vintaged canvas messenger bag is not the egregious style error that a fanny pack is.

I have one that looks like a WWII item, vintaged OD canvas, deliberately faded, with a brown canvas strap and old red-dot AAF wing on the flap. Old Navy has similar ones every now and then. So do many other stores.

koffin

Any of the packs made for small guns should work just fine....check out the Uncle Mike's Gun Runner for starters. I toted one around a large southern city on vacation and didnt get suspicious glances from anyone. And contrary to popular belief, I left with my masculinity intact.

zeroskillz

aside from the style issue...
If you're worried, you may want to look at one made for cameras with a nice big Nikon logo or something on it.

685cmj

I wore a fanny pack for years (well, OK, decades--so I am old!) without ever even imagining that someone had a gun in theirs or that someone might think I had one in mine. The first time I ever gave it a thought was when I read on a firearm web site that fanny packs scream "gun" to everyone. Funny--never screamed that to me or anyone else without an overactive imagination, or someone reading too many firearm web sites.

It is a bit large for city carry, but I really like my Camelbak Goblin for day hiking. It comes with an onboard water supply (it is a Camelbak, after all), pocket large enough for a good sized pistol, and other gear (I carried power bars, GPS, wallet, and keys.

Here is a link, but not necessarily the best place to buy...
http://www.copquest.com/57-3820.htm

first off, you are giving yourself too much credit if you think people are actually paying that close attention to you to even notice or care what you are wearing. Secondly, you are giving other people too much credit if you think they actually would assume it is a gun.

I have one I use for the gym and it has a nice holster in the rear compartment. It is the perfect size for a j-frame or small auto.

I bought it at Sportsman' Warehouse for $32 a couple weeks ago. it all leather.

fanny2.jpg

VeryOldDog

I would second the Camelbak Goblin. It carries 28 onces of water, plenty of storage for camera, keys and easily fits a Glock 20 and extra magazine or a J frame model 60. You certainly could carry a larger piece, but that means extra weight. I like the fact that there is a water supply available.

Justme

Lots more people die of dehydration, especially in the summer, than from random violence. Anything that provides a good water source, and a way to carry a gun is a twofer that shouldn't be overlooked

Don H

Depending on the size of the handgun, a belt-mounted camera case that has a Canon or Nikon logo (or some such) works quite well and certainly doesn't scream GUN! Some of these cases include straps much like a fanny pack does.

RonC

OK. Tell me what you think. I'm depending on all your sense of style and sartorial splendor. I chose the color to match my complexion.:D
janeron022mdsmpinkpackcj6.jpg

Ron

sks

You could always go the "thunderwear" route. :D http://www.thunderwear.com/

I can't even imagine that.

Like PP said, most people aren't paying any attention to you or what you wear. Personally, I never assumed that someone with a fanny pack was carrying but that is just me.

Kermit

Years ago in a retail setting I had a customer come in my store wearing a fanny pack/holster. I approached him & asked him if I could help him find what he was looking for. During our rapport building process, I asked him what department he was with. Shocked, he stopped shopping & left the store. An hour later, he returned -- sans fanny pack -- to continue his shopping. Maybe it's being in CA that people notice other people, what they're wearing or even if they're carrying.
Unless you have a permit & will be in a carry friendly state, I'd figure out a less obvious form of concealed carry.

rgillis

Vito
Not trying to be that Pain in the *** guy who takes you off on a tangent without addressing your actual question, but I'm curious. When carrying a j-frame while wearing shorts, I've found most pockets are more than adequate for pocket carry. Do you not like pocket carry?

I guess I'm just wondering what attracts you to the fanny pack?