Famous Firearms throughout history.

GeekWithGun

I've been trying to find sites that contain information about and/or photos of firearms that are or should be famous. For example,

James Bond's favorite handgun;
Dirty Harry's favorite handgun;
the gun used by Alexander Berkman in his failed attempt to assassinate Henry Clay Frick during the Homestead Steel strike of 1892;
the gun used by Hitler to (allegedly) shoot himself in Berlin;
the gun used by Gavrilo Princip to shoot the Archduke Franz Ferdinand at Sarajevo;
the gun or guns used by the Communists to kill the Czar and his family; or the gun used to assassinate Mahatma Gandhi.

Do you know of any sites like that?

P

PreserveFreedom

I know that Jame Bond;s gun came up here recently. It was some kind of Walther chambered in 32ACP, if I am not mistaken. He chose that because of the worldwide availability of the cartridge.

Balddog

Wouldnt James Bonds gun have been a fake movie prop seeing as hes an entirely ficticious character?

He used a Walther PPK though.

Try the National Park Service website for Ford's Theatre. It may have the Deringer used by Boothe to assassinate President Lincoln. While the NPS has the gun, the Army's Medical College in Washington DC has the bullet which is on display.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I saw some show about the last days of Hitler, where the russians produced artifacts from the bunker. Two pistols were shown, one was a Mauser Hsc, the other was a smaller, perhaps 25 caliber pistol.

They used moisin nagants to shoot the czar, they then dropped the bodies in a pit and dropped hand grenades in on them. Not exactly sporting.

Dirty Harry used a model 29 smith and wesson, but he's about as fictional as the man from uncle (walther p-38k).

There are museums all over the place that boast"owning" a rifle or pistol owned by daniel boone or buffalo bill or jesse james, but few are actually documented pieces, ie supporting documents etc.

Herr Walther

You are invited to visit my web site. There is an image (among others) of Mr. Bonds famed German manufactured PPK. It is not, however, the correct caliber. Mine is 9mmK. He used a 7.65mm.

The outward appearance of both are identical.

His switch to the PPK was mandated by "Q". He had been previously carrying a Beretta .25. This information is in the novels not in the screenplays.

www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/index.html

The Unofficial Walther Homepage

45King

A bit of movie trivia: if you watch the very first Bond movie (From Russia With Love{I think?}), you will see the switch out from the Beretta to the Walther. It's toward the begining of the movie.

Also, the producers wanted Roger Moore from the outset, not Sean Connery, but Moore was contractually obligated to The Saint series, and its shooting schedule didn't allow him time to film any movies.

Long Path

Dr. No, actually. His boss says something about him still using that "Damned Beretta," .25 and presents him with the super-powerful .32 acp! ;)