Family hunting pics for 07-08 so far

Bitmap

My second son's first turkey. He is 6 years old.
tom4.jpg

My oldest son's turkey this fall. He was about a week short of being 8 years old.
2007turkey8.jpg

My oldest son's mule deer.
mule1.jpg

mule2.jpg

My oldest son's whitetail doe.
ConnorsDoeJan08030-1.jpg

My whitetail deer.
2007whitetail3.jpg

We still have quail to look forward to and there is always a chance that the pigs will come out to play when we are there.

I hope you had as good a season as we did.

taylorce1

Bitmap, did you post these over on BSB forum? I think I've seen these before or at least your son's pictures. Looks like them boys have a great father who is willing to spend time with them. I'm sure they will cherish all the memories they make with you.

What is that Mauser you are using in your picture? How do you like the scout configuration? I've seen those stock advertised but never liked the looks of how high you had to mount the scope in a traditional fashion to clear the straight bolts on military rifles.

I hope to see more pictures of your families hunting adventures in the future.

Bitmap

Bitmap, did you post these over on BSB forum? I think I've seen these before or at least your son's pictures.

I'm not familiar with that forum. Can you post the URL? I've posted them here and on several other hunting forums, so you've probably seen at least some of the pics before. I like to show them off and wanted to recap the season.

What is that Mauser you are using in your picture? How do you like the scout configuration? I've seen those stock advertised but never liked the looks of how high you had to mount the scope in a traditional fashion to clear the straight bolts on military rifles.

It's actually a Steyr Scout, not a Mauser. I like the forward mounted optic. The Marlin is also set up that way. I also generally like short, light rifles. I hope I have the opportunity to post more hunting pics in the future. I've got two more up and coming hunters in the family.

taylorce1

That Steyr is usually more than I'll pay for a factory rifle, but they sure look nice. I tend to be a Rem or Commercial 98 guy myself, haven't paid too much attention to the Steyr's. That stock looks so darn close to the ones Cablea's and other stores sell for the old straight bolt Mausers (ATI I think) that can be set up scout style.

I've been wanting to set up a scout style rifle for some time, but a little different than the synthetic stock versions. My scout rifle will be a nice figured wood full stocked (Mannlicher) rifle in .257 Roberts, 6.5X55, 7X57 or similar caliber. With a good rear aperature sight on the rear reciver ring and the scout rail on the 18" barrel, Leupold FX-II 2.5 power scout scope, and either double or single set trigger. I have a small ring Mauser action that just might get the job in the future.

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/default.asp

Bitmap

taylorce1,

Sounds like you could easily get carried away with that custom scout and spend more that the Steyr version. Sounds like it would be very nice, and very pretty, and exactly what you want instead of something off of a production line. One good thing about the Steyr is that it free floats the barrel and allows use of a Ching sling for shooting without changing the POI. I played with the bipod a couple of times when I first got it and haven't used that feature since. I guess one big advantage of that is that you can set the rifle down and keep the glass well up off the ground and away from the dirt, dust, grass, etc.

B-Square or somebody makes a scout rail that fits the M700 Remingtons. It goes in the front scope mount holes on the receiver and the open rear sight holes. You could keep the front sight and add an aperture to the rear receiver holes. If you started with a short action M700 ADL synthetic youth model (with the short buttstock) you could have a nice, fairly light rifle for not a lot of money. It isn't difficult to add the middle sling swivel to most rifles. It wouldn't be a custom Mauser but it would give you a way to try it out and see what features you like and what you don't.

Thanks for the link.

kayakersteve

Great job with exposing your kids to the wonderful sport of hunting. They seem to be really ecited in the photos. Nice critters, too.

Bitmap

What caliber is the Marlin? At what ranges did your sons take their animals?

It's a .30-30 with Remington Managed Recoil factory ammo. 125gr. Corelokt at a nominal 2175fps.

Both turkeys were at about 30 yards. We stalked/walked up to about 60 yards from the mule deer. The doe was about 70 yards.