Familiar with the WW2 Sauer 38H? My first handgun.

Will have it in about two weeks. No kidding, a first handgun (age 58). After spending several hours reading about them along with who sells spare components, they seem like an interesting type. This version (mid-WW2?) seems to have the decocker lever.

A friend saw it in use at the range-very tight group-and the internal condition is excellent. It will be used only for plinking.
Looking forward to comments by anyone with exposure to the 38H.

Last edited:

Bart Noir

You can see where the later SIG-Sauer pistols (that we love so much) came from.

The Sauer 38H used one lever, behind the trigger, to both decock and cock the hammer! How cool is that?

My friend had a father who picked up one during WW2 and brought it home. While fixing General Patton's tanks, he looked up and the general was inspecting the front-line repair troops. The general saw the Nazi pistol on his hip, asked to examine it, and then gave the Sgt a box of .32 ACP which had been issued for his own Officer's pistol.

Patton's ammo was all fired off soon after the war, and much later I learned all about the Sauer from my friend.

I've had the chance to buy some at gun shows but haven't. I just am not much in need of .32 auto-chucking guns.

Bart Noir

joe-lumber

I purchased a Remington 51 -.380 pistol which Patton also carried during WWII. But I don't know which caliber he had so I am assuming it was in that .32 you are speaking of. Since it was from the '20's I enjoyed shooting it but after purchasing a Glock 26 I quit fooling with those older smaller caliber pistols and feel much better carrying a more up to date pistol. The smallness of the 26 is easier to conceal but packs a bigger punch than the
.380. I know I will keep the Remington 51 but as far a carrying it, I probably won't.
J

What a shame that the tiny round, which is a bit smaller than the 9x18 Mak., costs a bit more than 9mm Luger and maybe a bit more than Makarov.

The only Sig-Sauer I've ever tried was once in '11 with a German friend's P228. With sporadic exposure to handguns, other than a few times with other friends' Polish P-64 (I don't like the original springs), the German guy's P228 had such a Very nice trigger:). This plus the feel sold me on Sigs, despite only sporadic exposure to handguns, even for my age.

A range has had its rental Sig 232 continuously inop for over six months (strange? Nobody outside the range can figure this out).
Hearing about this Sauer from WW2 (none built after the war:( due to the Soviets in the DDR etc), a little reading about it and being the father of the 230/232 made it very hard to resist (not just the low price).

Bart Noir: I've read that the US .32 acp cartridge is not as hot as the European ammo. When most WW2 German Fallschirmjager sprang from their planes, this was their only gun until they landed and found the ammo cannisters.

Last edited: