FAL or M1A ... I think I need one of them. Educate me.

Sixer

Ok, "NEED" might not be accurate... But I think I've settled on my next purchase being a semi-auto rifle in .308 win.

I'd like something in .308 that has decent range, accurate at medium to long distances, semi-automatic, and won't set me back more than $2,000.

I've got the bolt action rifle covered. This will be more of a "because I want it" purchase ;) Something that would be more of a bad a$$ "battle rifle" type gun.

I prefer to stay away from the AR platform... nothing against it, love my AR-15... but I'd like to mix it up a bit.

I've been looking at an M1A as well as the FAL. I know that I want to steer clear of the cheaper FAL clones... but that's about where my knowledge stops.

Any input would be great! Thanks.

Crow Hunter

I'd like something in .308 that has decent range, accurate at medium to long distances, semi-automatic, and won't set me back more than $2,000.

Is that including optics and mount or just the rifle itself?

What is your definition of "accurate" and how much fiddling are you willing to do or $ to spend to get "accurate"?

What is your definition of "long range"?

Both of those rifles can be made "accurate" but both may require tinkering to get there and both will most likely require expensive mounts for the optics if you are wanting to do "long range".

Neither are known for out of the box accuracy over the population. Some get great ones, some get 8 MOA out of the box. It all depends on the stackup.

There will be some guys who shoot High Power or Service Rifle who can comment more.

Just be sure you don't set yourself up for disappointment.

As to brands. I think you are pretty much restricted to either Springfield Armory and DS Arms for new production. There may be others, but I don't know for sure.

misterE

Everyone needs an m1a rifle

I absolutely love my m1a. Have never shot a fal, so I'll not be able to comment on them.

However, my m1a setup is sub moa with federal gmm and it cost less than $2000.

First, I bought a "loaded" version, slightly used for $1400. These are the ones with medium weight match grade barrels, match sights, and a match trigger. Bought it off of one of my buddy's dads and he had only put 200 rounds through it. This rifle shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with open sights which blew my mind. So I decided to scope it to eliminate some of the human error and see just how accurate it really was. Put an aluminum sadlak scope mount on it for $180, then a Leopoldo vx1 for $240. Rifle shoe 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards. Then I shimmed the gas system - $10 in shims and an easy do it yourself job, shimmed the sides of e receiver with card stock, and put a $40 sadlak match spring guide on it.

Rifle now shoots sub moa with my best 5 shot groups measuring 5/8" at 100 off of sand bags. Cost around $1870 all together.

Like I said, can't comment on fal, and these are just my experiences with my m1a. Maybe this will help. I would recommend shooting both of course if you get the chance. I would imagine the fal may be lighter, I dunno.

Sixer

Is that including optics and mount or just the rifle itself?

The less I spend on the rifle, the sooner I can add the optic, mount, bells and whistles... etc.

"Long range" for me would be 300 - 500 yds... but even that doesn't seem all that likely on a regular basis. I just wan't something capable of getting out there. I don't expect it to shoot super awesome groups at that range... just Minute of Zombie ;)

Rifle now shoots sub moa with my best 5 shot groups measuring 5/8" at 100 off of sand bags. Cost around $1870 all together.

I would be thrilled with that. Great info.

Crow Hunter

Long range" for me would be 300 - 500 yds... but even that doesn't seem all that likely on a regular basis

Minute of person at 500 yards is probably fairly easily attainable.

Just make sure that if you are planning on optics that you budget for a good quality scope mount. Especially for the M1a (not sure about the FAL the only ones I have shot were iron sights).

A good mount is going to run you a couple $100 plus the magnified optics. And with the M1a, you need a good mount. They are rough on mounts.

Honestly, most people I know, prefer the AR-10 type after fooling with M1a's for a while. (My huge M-14 fan brother is one of them) He vastly prefers his Larue Predatar to any of the 3 or 4 M1a's that he now owns. He owned 5 at one time I think.

I only know 2 guys that have FALs and they like them. But they just use them "as issued" and don't mount optics on them.

wogpotter

Having owned both here's a "pros & cons" for them side by side.

Ergonomics:
FAL hands down. You could help the M1a with an E2 type pistol grip stock, but that won't do the whole thing.

Iron Sights:
M1a beats the FAL by a mile.

Optics addition (scope or red dot/holosight).
Fal with an aftermarket dustcover (ARMS or DSA depending on your preferences for permanently fixed/slide on slide off.) The M1a's built in mount is less than stellar.

Magazines:
FAL, comes in 5, 10, 20, 25 & 30 round versions.

Trigger:
M1a. Much nicer & nowhere as variable in feel from rifle to rifle.

Gas:
FAL. The adjustment takes a bit of getting used to (it's reversed from intuitave) but it will run about anything you can stuff into it.

Muzzle devices:
FAL. You have to have something on the barrel with an M1a, but a FAL can be fitted with many different types of flash supressor, muzzle break, or other widget, or left bare.

Operation:
I like the left-handed charging of the FAL over the M1a's Garand type system.

BHO:
FAL is a tad easier to release.

Sling use:
M1a. Dont even think of using a sling as a shooting aid with a FAL.

Bipod, if you go for one.
FAL, way better & folds flush when not in use.

Maintenance:
About even. The FALs gas system is easier to clean (no tools needed), but the M1a needs cleaning less, take your pick. The FAL is designed to be completely fieldstripped for maintenance with just an unfired bullet. The M1a needs some tools.

Accuracy:
M1a. FAL is designed for 3.5 MOA. A good FAL wil give you 2, but probably only with handloads.

Brass:
If you reload you're going to dislike both. However a well-tuned FAL will ding brass less than an M1a. The M1a makes a diagonal gash in the case as it ejects. This is caused by the square front of the sharging handle whacking the case to make it eject forward, not back. A poorly tuned FAL will beat the hell out of brass however. The big clue is brass kisses on the reciever.

Now the AR-10.....................:D

Sixer

Operation:
I like the left-handed charging of the FAL over the M1a's Garand type system.

I do everything right-handed... except when it comes to rifles :)
Great info! The FAL platform is sounding good. I'm sure you are 100% right on the AR-10... but I've wanted either an M1A or FAL for a while, so it's going to be tough to go in that direction.

Of course I plan on owning them all some day :D

GregM

Everything Wogpotter said! I own both, and you don't have to spend much over $800 to get a really good FAL. You have to know what your looking at, and it gets complicated a bit as there are inch and metric versions. I prefer the inch pattern FALs personally.

GregM

ronl

M!A. Much more accurate. Properly tuned it will easily shoot groups half the size of a good FAL. I have an M1A loaded that was built out of USGI parts and properly bedded and I very much doubt that there is an FAL around that can begin to hang with it as far as accuracy is concerned. Don't get me wrong, FAL is a good battle rifle, and very reliable, but in the accuracy department, the M1A wins hands down.

jbcricket

check out DSArms. They are making what many believe to be the best FAL's ever made. I have the 16" carbine and love it! Ergonomics are great, accuracy seems to be quite good tho i admit i have yet to sit down at a bench and ring out some 100 groups. Factory open sights leave a little to be desired but they'll do until you can make some modifications. Quite a few aftermarket items available as well. I bought a scope mount rail with attached brass catcher from dsarms and an aftermarket flash suppressor. Gonna put a light rail on the front stock, only other mod i might do is get some flip up ar style sights for it. I think you'd be quite satisfied with one of these, i know i am. Think the retail price is around $1700.00

barnbwt

FNAR

Not a FAL or "battle rifle", but still pretty bad-a$$. Based on the Browning BAR short-stroke rotating bolt action, but with 20rnd mag, nice plastic stock, and rails everywhere. I always reccomend this oft-ignored option for those seeking a "semi-auto .308". Around 1000$ (less used) gets you gar-ohn-teed MOA accuracy out of the gate.

TCB

KChen986

Wogpotter pretty much nailed it.

I think the FAL is the more user friendly rifle. M1A felt somewhat clunky in my hands. Sold my M1A, but kept my FAL.

Cue SR420 with a picture.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Unless you just want to play "cool" with somethng that looks like a selective fire rifle, go with the M1A. The straight(er) line stock of the FAL is better for full automatic (and necessitates the pistol grip) but for a conventional stock semi-auto that still has a large magazine capacity, the M1A is hard to beat.

Jim

GregM

Sixer, your just a state away. Come to Kentucky, I'll let you shoot mine all you want. Trying both is really the only way to tell which one is best for YOU. You'll always get different opinions, but they're not really telling you anything. I literally had to buy both to decide. Each has it's merits. M1a with GI parts can make nice small groups. Get one with commercial parts made at quitting time on Friday and it'll be a 4-5 moa rifle. FAL is similar, you need good condition surplus parts and a good quality receiver. Either will hit man size targets at the range you want to shoot(if you get a good one).

GregM

Ridge_Runner_5

I think the M1A has the edge on the FAL with regards to cleaning it. As a piston gun, the only area getting fouled by carbon is the throat of the barrel and the gas cylinder itself. And the latter can go several hundred rounds before it needs to be cleaned (you remove the oprod and tilt the gun. If the piston slides out just by gravity, you don't need to clean it)

Yes the M1A needs tools to tear down, but they are designed to fit quickly and easily into the buttstock, if you have the standard buttplate.

Edward429451

First, I bought a "loaded" version, slightly used for $1400. These are the ones with medium weight match grade barrels, match sights, and a match trigger.

I did not get match sights on my Loaded. Are you sure? I have a match trigger, Match barrel (medium) and a Match Flash supressor (whatever that is:rolleyes:). I wish I had Match sights.

I have shot FALs and the only thing that turned me off to it was how bad it munches the brass, since I reload. My M1A has a sweet trigger and I typically get abut 3 or 4" groups @100 yds with the iron sights. Overall I would have to recommend the M1A over the FAL but that is mostly because of the brass being non-reloadable out of the FAL. My M1A gets the crease mentioned on the brass but it is minimal and totally reloadable.

Sixer

Lots of great info guys!

Sixer, your just a state away. Come to Kentucky, I'll let you shoot mine all you want. Trying both is really the only way to tell which one is best for YOU.

I appreciate the offer Greg! It sounds like shooting them both may be the only way choose. Tough call for sure.