FAL/ L1A1 ?'s

shooter_john

I have found what seems to be a pretty good deal on a Century L1A1, and since I know very little about these guns, I have a couple of questions. First is there anything I should be concerned about on the CAI's? Secondly, how difficult would it be to take the standard the rifle and cut the barrel down close to the gas system and then re-attach the flash hider making a entry gun kinda deal? I've got money burning a hole in pocket, but I don't want to get screwed with a bad gun, and I'm in quite a dilemma as to what I want! (i.e. my other post in here about the Polytech conversion) Thanks for any help!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I know I will get arguments from the "grab a hacksaw" set, but cutting down the barrel on a gas-operated rifle is not a simple proposition. There has to be enough barrel past the gas port to allow the pressure to be retained and the gas forced into the gas cylinder. This is even more important in a rifle like the FAL than in a cut-off and expansion system like the M14. I don't know exactly how much barrel there needs to be past the gas port of an FAL, but remember that a trial and error approach means a new barrel if you go too far. And the barrel has to be cut in a lathe or crowned to get any accuracy.

FWIW, I have one of those CAI guns and it works OK, but I had to do some work on it to get the magazines to fit, then I had to add the hold open, which the L1A1 does not have, but which I wanted. I also had to polish the chamber to stop South African ammo from sticking in the chamber. The rifle is reasonably accurate, but no tack driver; it seems well within normal milspecs, though, or about 3-4" at 100 yds with good ammo.

Jim