Fairfax County (VA) PD have "several" MP5s stolen from vehicle

Roadrunner

VIRGINIA

Guns Stolen from Police Vehicle in Tenn

A Fairfax County police officer visiting Arkansas for tactical training returned to his unmarked police vehicle Sunday night in Memphis and found that his cache of powerful weapons and ammunition had been stolen, police said yesterday.

Fairfax police said they sent three officers to an explosives training school in West Memphis, Ark., as part of their ongoing training. About 7 p.m., at least one of the officers, Sean Clayton Scott, parked a 2001 Ford Excursion sport utility vehicle on a street in downtown Memphis, Tenn., and went to a movie, said LaTanya Able of the Memphis police. When Scott returned at 9:45 p.m., a vault inside the Excursion had been broken open and its contents stolen, police said.

The missing weapons were listed as "several" MP5 submachine guns with infrared sights, Able said, along with two .45-caliber pistols, ammunition, bulletproof vests, military boots, flash grenades and a police radio.

Memphis police appealed to the public for help in finding the weapons. Yesterday, one was reported found in a dumpster, Able said.

Isn't that quaint...

I just got off the phone with District Supervisor Gerald Connolly's legislative aide, who is a friend of mine.

Gerry's a good guy, but is a bit ninnyish when it comes to firearms... he was one of the ones who was pushing VERY hard to ban CCW handguns from the Government Center and from county recreation centers, and is very likely looking favorably on the move by the county park authority to ban handguns in Parks...

In essence, it looks like the good supervisor should be more concerned about his police officers than his constituents.

If the cops are pulling this crap when they're out of town, what are they doing when they're at home?

Text of my e-mail to the aforementioned Mr. Connelly...

------------------------------------------------

Hi, Gerry, Mike Irwin, Villa d'Este Village here.

I'm sure that you've by now seen this report in today's Washington Post -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38144-2002Apr24.html

The good officer obviously felt that his SUV was secure enough to serve as storage for probably close to $10,000 or more in taxpayer-purchased equipment -- and not just any equipment at that -- while he went to the movies.

Obviously, I'm pretty upset about this, even though it happened in Tennessee.

It appears that we can't trust our police to handle their issued weapons properly, yet there's no attempt by the County Park Authority to ban them from county parks and recreation facilities while there is a move afoot to ban citizens with concealed weapons permits from taking their handguns into those locals.

Yes, Gerry, once again I'm registering my disgust that the County is attempting to create problems where no problems exist, to demonize a segment of the population that has jumped through legal hoops (including background checks and, in some cases, fingerprinting) to obtain their permits, and to make the situation worse by forcing those who would obey these proposed strictures to make the choice of violating them, or leaving their firearms in their cars.

I had though that the Virginia Legislature covered this issue in its last session, yet the Park Authority believes that it is somehow an entity unto itself?

IF the Park Authority chooses to pursue this issue, then I request that police officers and metal detectors be placed at the entrances to ALL county park and recreation facilities, along with secure, lockable storage facilities for CCW holders to store their firearms, and that the money to do so be taken from the Park Authority's general fund -- not paid for through a line item or tax increase. Obviously the cost of doing so would be extreme, but if safety is truly the issue, as the Park Authority apparently claims, it should be willing to take steps to ensure that NO firearms are brought into the facilities by anyone, instead of simply targeting those citizens who have taken the time and paid the money to obtain their CCW in a legal fashion.

Or is this simply another transparent and cynical attempt by the County to make it appear as if it is concerned about the safety of its citizens by targeting a group that is, on whole, one of the the most law abiding segments of society, while taking no proactive steps to target those who do choose to break the law?

Have a great day, Gerry, and thanks again for speaking at our annual meeting of members.

--Mike

bruels

The officer is in good company. The FBI lost their toys in similar circumstances in Memphis a few years or so ago. It was right after bilary clinton ordered all federal law enforcement agencies to issue trigger locks to their officers. No mention was ever made if the FBI had trigger locks on their lost weapons.

Happened in DC some years ago, too.

An officer from a field office was in town, and left his newly issued S&W Model 1076 (or whatever the FBI gun was) in his car along with a bullet resistant vest, his ID, and a couple hundred rounds of ammo. All gone, and to the best of my knowledge, never recovered.

Kharn

Just announced:
The Firing Line will be having a get-together down in Memphis this weekend, an anonymous member has agreed to bring along "several" MP5s, a few handguns, ammo and some flashbangs so we can have some fun. Please dont tell any of your VA police friends about it, or they'll spoil our fun.

On a serious note, why the heck did they need MP5s for an "explosives training" class?

Kharn