Fair price on a good condition 10-8?

Micahweeks

A local seller has a S&W 10-8 he's selling for 400 dollars. Would you buy at that price? The gun is in pretty good condition with some regular wear on the finish.

Eazyeach

I might try to talk em down a little. It books for $400 in 98%. I have a m10 and I love it. Can't go wrong with S&W revolvers.

highpower3006

Gun prices tend to be different from place to place, but here, that would be about $75ish too high. Make him and offer with cash in your hand and see what he says.

Model 10's are pretty common and if you look around, you should be able to find one closer to $300.

lamarw

I agree with the price being a little high particularly with the description you provided. Look at GunBroker and other online sources to include gun dealers like Bud's for their prices and pictures of conditions to make a comparison.

Also consider your sales tax rate vs. cost of shipping and FFL cost if you buy one off the internet.

Hope you score one since the Model 10 is a joy to own and shoot.

roaddog28

$300 to $325. That's the most I would pay for a shooter grade model 10. Heck I have a bet at $300 on a 10-5 shooter grade. Don't over pay.
Good luck.
Howard

Sevens

We're talking about the world's single most successful model of handgun ever. It's been suggested that more than six million have been made and sold.

That means it is a phenomenal handgun but "collector" value is irrationally low.

It's a -must own- in my opinion, but if you threw a Model 10 across a gun show, it would bounce off three other Model 10's before it hit the floor.

I'd like it better if cleanly under $400.

sarge83

Unless it is NIB I would pass. You can find nice model 10's all day long around $300-$325. As posted there is a ton of these revolvers out there. Try pawn shops and carry cash and make out the door offers with cash in hand, bet you get a nice Model 10 way less than $400.

carguychris

In addition to what's already been mentioned, barrel length affects value with these guns; 2" is worth more than 4"*, and 3" is worth considerably more than 2". (*I'm not entirely certain that a 2" M10-8 was made, as I don't have my reference sources handy, but I believe that this version does exist.)

IMHO $400 is definitely on the high side for a 4" gun in the described condition; I'm with the other posters here, $300-$325 is the going rate for these. However, a 2" or particularly a 3" "shooter" could certainly go for $400 depending on local market conditions.

(As an added footnote, 5" and 6" Model 10's exist in tapered "pencil" barrel form, but AFAIK these lengths were not offered on the bull-barrel M10-8.)

Last edited: