Fair Price for Browning HP

TomL

What is a fair price for a good condition BHP of mid eighties manufacture with fully adjustable rear sight? More that $500.00 but less than $600.00 is what I am looking at for a purchase price. Thanks. Tom

dogtown tom

Without pictures any estimate is just a WAG.

Genuine FN? (or FM, FEG, etc)
Blue steel or black matte finish?
Assembled in Portugal?
Is the rear sight a "beer can"? (round "ears")
Original box & papers?
Is wear from holster? (bluing wear)
Scratches?
Rust pits?

spamanon

Isn't a "fair price" simply that price on which the buyer and seller both agree, at the time of the agreement? I have never understood this type of question.

Now do you mean to ask what price other folks would agree to in order to purchase such a gun, assuming they were you? If so, I would probably pay no more than $650 for one, assuming you were me.

I bought mine 11 years ago for $400 new. Love that gun.

Crankylove

Paid $699 for my '72 Belgian Browning, and considered it a good price. The gun is in good shape, and it happened to be EXACTLY the gun/condition I was looking for. A decent Hi-Power isn't very common locally, so when I found mine, for a decent price I jumped on it. The "fair price" will depend on the condition, any modifications, how common the gun is, and most importantly......how bad you want it.

Teuthis

If you are using the term "good" condition in the literal sense, then $500 could be a little too much. What elements of the pistol consign it to "good" condition?

Most your good condition Browning HP's should bring over $500 easy. I just paid $450 for an 80's Browning HP in very good condition. Some wear on the finish. Black Matte. Two mags.

I figure I got it for a steal.

A good price would have been $525 for this gun.

I saw a Captain model for sale the other day for $635 in excellent condition. That was also a steal. If I hadn't just bought the other, I would have gone for the Captain.

TomL

Fair Price for BHP

Hello and thanks for the replys. Here is what I now own, w/o pics tho. BHP from Browning Arms, Morgan Ut. & Montreal, Ca. Made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale Herstal, s/n 245pv04xxx, ser #'s are on grip strap front and bbl at ejection port, matte finish, ambi safteys, black grips, spur hammer, and I suppose "beer can" rear sight as it is rounded slightly at the top of the ears, fixed style. It appears to have been fired very little in my experience, barrel lugs are crisp on the edge, some scuffing where they lock to the slide, slightly extended bbl bush with chamfer and tiny bleed hole where the spring rests. Other features are there as I have read about the MKII. One magazine, 160 rds of Target/Range 115 gr fmj for $540.00. Did I do ok? Thanks. Tom

dogtown tom

TomL Hello and thanks for the replys. Here is what I now own, w/o pics tho. BHP from Browning Arms, Morgan Ut. & Montreal, Ca. Made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale Herstal, s/n 245pv04xxx, ser #'s are on grip strap front and bbl at ejection port, matte finish, ambi safteys, black grips, spur hammer, and I suppose "beer can" rear sight as it is rounded slightly at the top of the ears, fixed style. It appears to have been fired very little in my experience, barrel lugs are crisp on the edge, some scuffing where they lock to the slide, slightly extended bbl bush with chamfer and tiny bleed hole where the spring rests. Other features are there as I have read about the MKII. One magazine, 160 rds of Target/Range 115 gr fmj for $540.00. Did I do ok? Thanks. Tom

Now THAT is a description!:D

And it's worth every bit of $540.

That drain hole at the muzzle identifies it as a MkII Hi Power. It will also have a "rib" running the length of the slide from rear sight to front sight.

I don't believe any MkII's were sold with adjustable sights, so someone did that themselves.

The MkII is one of my favorite Hi Powers. It was less refined than previous HP's, being intended for the police and military market. To quote Stephen Camp ..."My first Mk II looked like it had been finished with a wood rasp!.."

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/DifferenceMkIIandMkIII.htm

TomL

Fair Price for BHP

Hello Dog, thanks for the reply and I feel good about the money spent for it and am pleased with the piece as it appears internally and externally. It does not have an adjustable rear sight, I was describing what a previous post had described as "beer can" rear sight. Now to get to the tuning up! After a test at the range of course. I have read where some recommend the higher pressure recoil spring or as mentioned, Wolf or Sprinco. Not sure about any other changes; hammer, magazine disconnect saftey, trigger work, just looking forward to punching holes in paper so far :) In any case thanks again to all who posted replys. Tom

BLUEZ4U

650-900 is what I've been seeing, depending on condition and age.
As a fan of BHP, there are some deal to be had.

jaysouth

Good carry gun at a decent price.

The sights are not as good as the MK III but you will learn to use them very well with practice.

The finish on the MK II is parkerized and looks rough. It is the ideal carry pistol because the finish is sturdy and will suffer a few nicks and scratches better than a nice blued model.

Don't worry about any mods until you have fired a couple of thousand rounds through it.

TomL

Fair Price for a BHP

Thanks for the advice on mods and shooting. One thing I do not care for and possibly its my hand size, is the left grip panel thumb rest. I have a tendency to want to drop my thumb to the mag release and that raised support kind of bugs/hinders me. Might opt for a diff or non supported style. Any suggestions as to maker/type appreciated. As for the sights I kind of like what I see so far and have only sighted in dry fire handling of the pistol. My bi-focaled eyes are kind of picky too! :) Tom