Failure to eject - gun weight issue?

MarkGlazer

I have a query for the board. Is it possible for a failure to eject to take place simply due to the weight of a gun?

I have previously loaded 9mm rounds, 115 gr lead cast bullet, Silhouette powder - 5.1 gr, CCI SP primer, for my wifes’ CZ 75 P-01 (fully broken in, over 2k rounds through it thus far). I had no such failures using this weapon. The specifications for this gun states that it weighs 1.75 lbs and it is has an aluminum frame. Today I loaded and shot the same round in my Canik Stingray (5 months old, over 1,000 rounds through it thus far), which is a steel frame gun that weighs 2.18 lbs. I had multiple “failures to eject” today. I measure powder with a manual Lee scale and I check the weight for consistency, no issues there. The only difference, I use Tula SP primer for the Stingray.

I do realize that the obvious answer is to increase the powder grain weight, but I am curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

jepp2

First it is unlikely that the exact same round fired in 2 different pistols will generate the same pressure. Differences can be many.

And it could be as simple as the recoil spring being stronger where you are having the fail to ejects.

Either shorten the OAL or increase the powder charge. Or change the recoil spring :rolleyes:

Lost Sheep

Yes, but

Years ago I found that I could induce stovepipe jams (failures to eject fully) simply by decreasing the stiffness of my grip (popularly called "limp wristing"). This is tantamount to having less mass in or attached to the gun, so the answer to your question is "yes". But there is more to consider than just the gun.

Lost Sheep

AFK

The gun just may not like the load. With every new gun I will work up a load with my 4 go-to powders and end up with what I feel is the most accurate and cleanest load for that particular gun. Right now my older XD9 SC is the most accurate with 115 gr FMJ over 4.3gr Titegroup seated at 1.11, but my new S&W Shield is all over the place with it. Once I am comfortable with the new pistol, and I can rule out operator error for it's inaccuracies, I will work up a load to suit it. It's always nice to have multiple guns in the same caliber like the same load, but it's not always possible.

Jim243

It is more likely to do with the recoil spring weight than that of the gun. Some mfg's use stiffer springs some lighter ones. Changing to a lighter spring in that gun may solve your problem and let you use the same load in both guns.

Jim

tangolima

Sure. For a light load any of the following, among others, can cause failure to eject.

1. Mass of the slide.
2. Stiffness of the recoil spring.
3. Roughness of chamber.
4. Firmness of the grip.

-TL