Failure to eject 22/45

Ichiro

I've got a Ruger 22/45 pistol that serves both as a warmup gun for my wife and I on the range, as well as an first shooting experience, for when I introduce my non-gun friends to shooting.

I like this gun OK and am basically satisfied with it, because it serves its purpose--it was cheap, shooting it is cheap, it is a Ruger, and new shooters always have a great time with it. However, every time I've brought this gun to the range, it has experienced multiple failures to eject. Clearing the problem is simple enough, but I would like to eliminate the jamming.

What can I do to at least reduce the jamming?

~Ichiro

topspin43

2 suggestions

1. Try high-velocity ammo
2. Check to see that you are not "limp-wristing" the pistol. Many people (including me) do because of the low recoil of a .22lr. I tend to have a stronger grip on my higher caliber pistols.

T. O'Heir

Nearly all failures with a .22 pistol are ammo related. Change ammo. Doesn't have to be high velocity though. Try a box of every brand you can find to find the one or two brands that are accurate in your pistol and cycle the action. Remington Target .22's work well in my S&W M41 and they're notoriously finicky about the ammo they'll shoot and cycle.

Ichiro

Thanks for the quick replies. Limp-wristing is a definite problem. Typically, I (and whomever I am with) will work up from 22lr all the way to .357 magnums in a snub-nose revolver. Relaxing a bit too much with the 22 definitely causes some problems.

I bought five different kinds of ammo when I bought the gun, and they all behave the same as far as I can tell. I think there's some high-velocity ammo in there somewhere, and I'll be sure to see if it functions better than the others. Thanks again.

~Ichiro

Alaskee

Try one of these

Next time you make a gun parts/accesories order, pick up one of these and install it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=531196
Many gun parts mail order stores sell them.
Guaranteed the problem will go away never to return. I just put one in a friends kids 10/22 over the weekend and as usual, problem solved. All of my Ruger 22 semi pistols and rifles have them and they all extract 100%.
Power Custom also makes a carbon steel model and Volquartsen makes their own version. Do a search for Ruger 22 semi-automatic extractors, they all work well.

HankC1

Is the fail to eject like spent casing stuck on top of next round (stove piping). Rugers MK2s and 22/45s seems to known for this proplem due to mag lips too high and push off the spent casing. I had this issue with mine and I grind off the lips a bit and fixed the problem. This does not necessarily show when you manually cycle the bolt with a spent casing, I could not reproduce the condition manually 99% of the time but jammed 1 out of 20 rnds when I shoot. Rimfirecentre has many threads on this. Edited 7:50PM to add more link for detailed info:

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm

Last edited:

wingman

Best thing I did for my 22/45 was changing lubes to FP10, smoothed the action (over time), also break it down and clean well, they aren't easy but
after a couple hours of bad words it will go back in place. Then after each
shoot blow out with air compressor and lube with FP10, stays clean and
trouble free.

Mark54g

ditto on change ammo. 22s are picky. I thought mine ate everything (still does, but belches on the Federal American eagle. Dirty stuff makes it jam every so often. I switched to PMC Zappers and have had 0 failures since.

Shorts

Our 22/45 was jammy as well. It took a REAL good cleaning, break down and all. And keep it cleaned and oiled. I know, it's a .22, they typically get abused and have less frequent cleanings.

Anyhow, for ammo, I didn't change anything. I buy Remy and Winchester.

Ichiro

Thanks for all the replies. The failures to eject are indeed stove-piping. The spent case sits upright, with the rim trapped under the next cartridge.

I'm going try the easiest things first. I took it apart last night and cleaned it, and I oiled up the bolt real good. It needed a cleaning anyway. Next time at the range, I'll try it with regular ammo, being sure not to limp-wrist the gun. Then I'll try some high-speed ammo.

I'm I'm still having problems, I'll try the new lube. If that fails, I'll look into the new parts or grinding the magazines. So many suggestions...:)

I need to print this thread for reference.

~Ichiro

mgdavis

I have had no problems in 2000 or so rounds with my 22/45. I use winchester wildcat or remington golden bulk packs. Maybe Hi-Vel will be the answer to your problem.

Ichiro

I've got one of those Remington bulk packs at home. I'll bring it with me next time out. Thanks for the suggestion.

~Ichiro

MEDDAC19

How do you limp wrist a .22, they have little to no recoil? Not being a smart aleck, but is it really possible?

Ichiro

My guess is you cradle it like a little baby kitten, because it's such a soft shooter :p

I know it's true, because I've done it. I'm sure my wrist didn't actually "break", however, but maybe a tiny bit of extra muzzle flip is just too much with this gun. Failures are less common when I hold it firm like I do my .357 snub.

~Ichiro

Hal

Remove the bolt.
Push the cross pin out that acts as a firing pin stop.
Remove the firing pin and the spring/plate underneath.
Clean everything very well, including the channel the parts run in.
Before putting it back together, clean and inspect the face of the bolt and the extractor.
Does the extractor still have a hook on it?
( It sounds simplistic, but Ruger's extractors are prone to breakage and often the gun will continue to run with a broken extractor as long as it's clean. My Mark II has a broken extractor and it will run a couple hundred rounds before it starts to jam.)

If it's broken, or if you can't slip a spent case up under it and have it hold it firm against the boltface, replace it.

Now clean and inspect the breechface. You may have to use an old toothbrush slathered in solvent for this. Work the breechface over very well.
Also flood the little recess the extractor goes into right next to the breechface with solvent. Let it stand for a short while, then use a toothpick to make sure there isn't any hard crud inside.

Next use a .22cal bronze brush, and from the back end, cover it with solvent and rotate it very well inside of the chamber.
Be sure to use a .22 cal brush. Don't use, as is often mistakenly recommended an oversized brush. If the brush is oversized, the bristles will lay down flat and not work. It's the tips of the bristles that do the cutting, not the sides. (As you can tell, this is a pet peeve of mine.)

If you have a spent case from a Stinger or Yellowjacket, it helps to shove it into the chamber first to scrape the walls clean. You may or may not opt to run the brush down the barrel at this point. I always run a brush down the bore of my .22's. Some do, some don't. My .22/45 has had hundreds of instances of a brush going down it's bore, with no ill effects. YYMV.

@ this point, use a Teflon based grease - Tetra is excellent - and apply a light coat to all the surfaces of the bolt, inside and out, and let it sit.

Next turn you attention to the magazine(s). Disassemble them and use a solvent coated bronze brush to scrub out the insides. Work the brush hard, and use a lot of solvent. Pay particular attention to the inside front where the nose of the bullets ride. I guarantee you that if you haven't taken the mags down and scrubbed the inside, there's a witch's brew of crap in there. Owing to the location of the magazines inside the gun, it will be full of unburned/half-burned/burned-on crap. Clean the spring and the follower also. Follow it all by drying all the parts well.

@ this point, use the Tetra grease and cover the inside of the magazine with a light coat, and also the spring and follower, and let them sit.

Now clean inside the frame. I use a lot of solvent and an old toothbrush and the good old flood it method, then shake it out, followed by blotting up the whole mess with a dry rag. The only real areas I take any care of doing a detail are where the trigger parts work against each other, and the side where the trigger disconnect runs against the frame. Those, I brush, blot dry, and apply a drop of oil (I use Rem Oil - you can use what you prefer).

@ this point, go back to the bolt and all the parts. Use a dry cloth and remove the Tetra grease. Don't buff it in an attempt to get it all off. Just firmly rub it off. Apply a single drop of Rem Oil to all the mating surfaces and reassemble the spring/plate and firing pin and push the retaining pin back in place.

@ this point, go back to the magazine(s) and wipe off all of the Tetra. Again, rub firm, but don't try to buff it all off. The surfaces should feel smooth, but not slick. If they feel slick, there's too much grease. Reassemble everything, but don't use any additional lube on anything except the spring. I usually put a small amount of grease on the spring and wipe it off. 9 times out of 10, the 2nd application of grease will leech out some additional dirt and crud from the spring, no matter how well I've cleaned it.(or though I have).

I know it seems long and involved. It really isn't. I usually takes between 5 and 10 min extra over a simple field strip to detail strip the bolt and magazine. After doing it this way a few hundred times, it's become automatic and takes me probably 20 min from start to finish. <- way less time than it took to type or read ;)

Hal

Part II followup:

The reciever.
After cleaning evrything else, go back to the reciever. Make sure the boltface is 100% clean and there isn't any buildup of residue. Use a liberal amount of solvent and bush the boltface as needed. Dry everything off. Now run dry patches down the bore, from the back end.

DON'T REUSE the dry patch as tempting as it may be to do so.

I usually use a small piece of tissue for this step.

Next coat a patch with Tetra grease and run it into the chamber, rotate it around to spread the grease evenly inside of the chamber. Then run the patch down the bore and out the muzzle.

Follow that with 3 or 4 dry patches to remove the grease.

As before DON'T REUSE the dry patches. They will have a lot of dirt and crud on them, and that crud is very abrasive.

@ this point, you may want to carefully remove the bullet and dump the powder from a live round, and drop the case into the breech. It should drop all the way down and seat against the breechface. Turning the barrel up, should allow the unfired case to drop out on it's own.
If it doesn't, you may need to lap the chamber. My Mark II needed to have it's chamber smoothed out a bit. I coated a patch with toothpaste and ran it in and out over the course of an evening of watching TV. I flushed out the reciever/barrel by running it under hot (and I mean HOT) tap water, then shaking it off. If the water is hot enough, and you get the reciever hot enough, there's no need to dry things off. They will dry all by themself.

If the idea of running water through a gun doesn't sit well in your mind,,remember, millions and millions and millions of black powder guns were and are cleaned that way. The key is to get the metal hot enough so that the water evaporates by itself.

@ this point, apply a light coat of oil to the entire reciever, inside and out, and reassemble the bolt into the reciever and the reciever onto the frame.
Cock the action, but don't pull the trigger.
Work the bolt slowly and make sure it runs smooth. It shouldn't hang or catch anywhere.
If it does, disassemble everything and lightly run a cotton ball across all the mating surfaces. If there's a small burr or rough spot, it will pick up strands from the cotton ball. One of my .22/45's had a rough spot on the underside of the bolt. I used one of those ink pen erasers to polish it smooth.
The other .22/45 needed to be polished smooth with a piece of 1600 grit wet/dry.
IMHO, using an abrasive on a firearm is a last resort. @ that point it's a toss up between using the abrasive vs sending it back to the mfg.

YMMV as far as what you feel comfortable doing.

I used the 1600 grit simply because I had something that fine on hand.
Any NAPA parts dealer stocks it.

HTH

Ichiro

I tried some different ammo this afternoon.

The Remington golden-bullet value pack that I had was different from the other ammo in one way: 2 out of about 70 shots actually failed to fire. I had not experienced this before. The cartridge was struck, but did not fire. This is not OK for my gun. I had better luck with CCI Blazers.

I also tried CCI Velocitors. When they worked, they were fun to shoot. But 3 out of 50 live rounds actually got bent, in half, while shooting. This jam required that I remove the magazine to fix it. 3 live rounds, bent in half :eek:
I will not buy more of this.

I also tried CCI Stingers. These were like no other .22 cartridge I've ever fired. What a blast! :D There's a big fireball with these things. It's not at all like shooting a .22. Way more fun and respectable than all the others. It was like shooting a centerfire. And all 50 of the box that I bought fed and fired perfectly.

I guess my Ruger 22/45 only wants the hottest rounds available. Fine! I bought some more Stingers on the way home. I also bought some Remington high-velocity ammo for half the price. If this stuff works as well as the Stingers, then I'm hooked. Otherwise, I'll be shooting only Stingers at the range, in addition to .357 mag.

Thanks for all your input.

~Ichiro