Facts about the S&W 629-5?

WhistlerSWE

I've got a beautiful looking 629-5 coming in a few days, and I'm curious as to what the generation differences are.

This one is called "Classic Champion" and has a smooth cylinder (non-fluted that is) with the whole revolver being bead blasted.

I ended up paying $1,343.20 USD (translated from Swedish Crowns) for the gun (with shipping and license fees).

So, anything you know about this piece? :)

Doodlebugger45

I don't know but I've been curious as well. I bought a 629 used in 1985 and I probably had it for 20 years before I ever heard anything about the various numbers after the 629. I checked a little closer and sure enough I saw a place where it says 629-1 on it. Ever since then I've been wondering if those more recent (higher) numbers mean that the more modern ones were trying to fix some "problem" (I've never had any) or if they were just minor changes.

WhistlerSWE

Me and several of my friends have the S&W 617.
I've got the unmarked, another has Gen-1 and another Gen-3 (I think).

Things that differ are things like they have holes drilled and tappet for scope mounts, the have round butt where I have square, they come with rubber grips, mine came with wooden. I guess there are internal changes as well, but I don't know of them.

That is why I want to have info on the 629-5, as it will be my primary competition revolver.

speedsixman

The 629-5 series is (IMO) the best of the 629's ever made. There was an "endurance package" introduced with the 629-2 run that strengthened up some weak spots in the action from earlier models, and was carried on through the later variants. Do a Google search on Smith & Wesson 629 endurance package to read about the changes.
The 629-4 was the last run to have the firing pin mounted on the hammer. Some people prefer that configuration, but most opinion seems to be that the later frame - mounted firing pin is better. The 629-5 was first to have the firing pin in the frame. It was also the first to use injection molded hammer and trigger where the previous ones had been forged. (Not a problem, AFAIK, but sneered at by some traditionalists.
The 629-6 saw the introduction of the infernal internal lock that has been roundly cussed and discussed on the forums. There have been a few instances of these locking up at inopportune times, but most of the dislike is the appearance. I don't know what later changes have come about, since I have no interest in the later models with the locks.
(Note that changes to the blue 29 series doesn't follow the same sequence as the 629's)
Hope this info helps anyone who wants to know some of the differences!

Myron

Last edited:

WhistlerSWE

Thank you for your answer, speedmansix!
Do you have any info on bore and twist rates etc for the 629-5?
Does it differ between the different generations?

I'm thinking about casting my own bullets for handloading, and would very much like tips on what is ideal for the 629-5.

Edward429451

Get a Lyman 429421 mould or a variant. It's a 245 grain Keith bullet and has given great results in any 44 I've ever shot them in.

The 429650 300 grain version is just as good, possibly better.

speedsixman

Rifling twist

WhistlerSWE -

Sorry, - No I don't know the twist rate for the rifling in these. Don't think I have ever seen anyone comment on it. Seems that one of the many articles over the years in the gun rags or internet reviews might address the issue.
BTW, it took me a long time to figure out the model variants on the 629s. My first interest was in the 629 Mountain Gun and I wanted to be sure I got the latest and greatest version without the "infernal" lock. There are some real experts over on the Smith-Wessonforum.com, although much of the really old info from old posts seemed to disappear when they changed forum providers recently. Glad I searched it when I did! (Mods - hope I didn't violate a sacred forum rule here)
I'm still not sure how the blue model 29 series corresponds to the model changes, but think the 29-4 may have been the last without the lock. Just haven't been interested enough in the blue ones to do persistent research on them.

Myron

john in jax

I had a 629-5 Classic with the 6.5" bbl and it was the most accurate handgun I have ever owned. It had a beautifully light and super smooth trigger which helped with the accuracy and the full bbl lug really tamed down the recoil from heavy/hot loads. But it was just too long to comfortably carry around, so I got rid of it.

Just recently replaced it with an older 629 Classic, and it too is a wonderful shooter. I think you will be very happy with the performance of your new revolver.

WhistlerSWE

Thanks for the great answers once again!

Does anyone know if the 629-5 has holes drilled and tapped for scope mounts?
I have a Warne base that would be awesome on this revolver.