factory loaded ammo?

furyfour

at the last show I purchased a 50rd bag of .38spcl from georgia arms. The bag says factory loaded. I guess i'm not 100% clear on what they mean by factory loaded, will factory loaded ammunition have crimp marks?

44 AMP

Staff
will factory loaded ammunition have crimp marks?

It will if it is crimped.

You bought a bag of ammo at a gun show. The bag says it is factory loaded ammo (as opposed to handloaded ammo). This is to make it clear that even though packaged in a bag, and not a box as is normal for factory ammo, that it is factory ammo.

The question, however, is, is it actually factory ammo? And from what factory? Properly done, using new components, there is no way to tell if ammo is factory made or handloaded. Using fired cases, reloaded ammo may be able to be distinguished from new factory ammo, but it might not be easy, if it is even possible. Handloaded ammo can be perfectly functional without looking like new factory ammo, or if the handloader puts a little more work into it, it will be hard to tell from factory ammo.

The issue only comes up because one cannot really know what powder (and how much) is put into handloaded ammo. You just have to take their word for it. You do the same for factory ammo as well, but with factory ammo, there is an implied standard of reliability. Ammo made by Joe handloader and sold at a gun show, if it blows up your gun, good luck finding out who Joe was, where he lives, and if he will, or even can cover your damages. Ammo loaded by Remington, Winchester, Federal, Black Hills, etc. or any other licensed ammo maker has liability insurance involved, and if they are at fault, you will be compensated.
The problem with buying a bag of ammo at a gun show is that you cannot be certain of what you actually get. It may not be what it is claimed to be. And the seller may not even know it!

Good luck.