Factory Bulk Ammo?

baddarryl

Assuming an AR with 16" 1:9 twist barrel, 5.56/.223 what bulk FMJ ammo seems to be most reliable/accurate etc.? I know this may not even be quantifiable, but is there a brand that seems to be the best? I know all rifles are different, but i'd like to try a few brands and not 20. Among rimfires there seems to be a consensus around CCI, is there a similar in the AR world?

marine6680

Any decent 55gr stuff will work fine.

When it comes to bulk stuff, it's about 2-3moa... pretty much across the board, except for the cheapest of the cheap. (Usually steel cased)

rpseraph

I have gotten decent accuracy out of most 55gr or 62gr bulk ammo. I prefer to stick to brass and avoid steel. I just bought a bunch of Federal 55gr and I can get good accuracy (1-1.25 MOA) out of my SPR build.

briandg

The advice I'd give is stick with the RFW brands, meaning remington, federal, winchester. There are dozens of euro brands, brands from asia, etc, and you may be able to get good results from them. I won't buy any of them. I've had plenty of experience buying foreign low grade ammo, and with that experience, I choose not to.

I wouldn't buy partizan on a bet. The reason for that is it's made by the arms maker that was involved in the serbian war. Call me a bigot, the serbs committed atrocities and I've not forgiven it yet.

It's all up to you. I wouldn't run steel through mine at all, I have heard too many times that it is dirty, and other issues. Just won't do it. Otherwise, try whatever you want, but be very careful of what you buy and observe carefully for the first box or so to see how well it works.

briandg

Not necessarily junk, but not good enough for me. I won't use Aguilar after trying it. My results with pmc were poor. I'm one of those people will give something a fair chance and never again. Three or four different disappointments is enough.

Seriously, how many more times do you go out with a girl who farts in your car during the first one?

bfoosh006

Seriously... try GECO .223 55gr FMJ, Wolf Gold .223 , PMC XTAC 5.56 55gr

Those have shown Above average 55gr accuracy.

As for American made bulk 55gr, my experience has shown it to be just that... bulk.

It all goes bang reliably, but accuracy is truly lacking.

marine6680

Geko, PPU, Fiocchi, Sellier and Bellot, and Wolf Gold (Taiwan made) are all well made foreign source ammo.

Geko 22lr has proven to be very accurate in my guns... as good as domestic match stuff... not the ultramatch stuff, but the standard match. The 223 has been pretty accurate too.

I find the Wolf Gold (labeled 223 but is 5.56 spec) to be better than most standard 55gr stuff.

Mobuck

I've had nothing but GOOD results with Fiocchi. On the other hand, SIL brought down some AE X193 to test run his AR and it was truly BAD. I can't say if it was a bum lot or just overall crappy quality. I'd rather take a chance on PMC than dive into a big lot of Federal.
We're not buying any 55 grain FMJ at this time-maybe some REAL 62 grain green tip. I'm always looking for good buys on specific varmint type ammo since at times, factory ammo is only slightly higher than the cost of the bullets for reloading.

drobs

I like that brass cased South Korean PMC ammo - price is right and shoots decently enough in both my Ruger Mini-14 and Windham Ar15.

While the steel cased Russian stuff works just fine in my 7.62x39 rifles,
I stay away from it in my 223/5.56 & 7.62x51 rifles.

Chainsaw.

A.E., PMC or the local remanufacturer.

Bulk and best do not go together. But bulk and not to shabby can certainly go together. Guess the biggest question is what first on your priorities list? Price? Quality? Or something someone on the internet said is important? ;)

Gunslick

I have heard X-Tac is hit or miss in the aspect of it being loaded waay too hot. In my training/range practice I use PMC Bronze .223 because it is a nice light accurate load and ordered a bunch last night at $310. If you run your gun fast the bronze will produce less heat compared to Xm193 or Xm855. I love those last 2 I named but try to stock that ammo.

odugrad

This might be a little off topic but is there a difference in quality in the 420 round (bulk) ammo cans of Federal vs the 20-round boxes?

briandg

some of these things you are just going to have to try by yourself and learn the answers through experience, and then, you're going to have to hope that it doesn't change. lot by lot things change.

T. O'Heir

"...there a difference in quality..." It's just different packaging. Bulk ammo cans of Federal is what comes when you buy FC head stamped milsurp ammo.
You really have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The cost of it doesn't matter.
Reloading is your best bet.
"...a girl who farts in your car..." She good lookin' with a rich daddy who's not well? Older ya get the lower yer standards get. snicker.

baddarryl

Seriously, how many more times do you go out with a girl who farts in your car during the first one?

Holy crap that is just too funny! Hey on the subject of Green Tips, is it odd that I just don't want to shoot them up after the attempt to ban them a couple of years ago?

armedleo

ARs overall are fairly reliable and can shoot just about anything. But, that doesn't mean you ought to. The guys here have already given you the right direction. I would just stay away from factory bulk re-loads even though its says "once fired brass" you'll get too many FTFs and you don't want to wreck a good gun with unevenly worn brass. Also, if buying in bulk, especially someone else's re-loads (factory or not) make sure you take the time to count the rounds being sold. When you buy an ammo can that says its got 500 rounds in it many times you'll find you've bought 400.

odugrad

I buy Federal ammo and I believe that's all "once-fired" and it's good to go. I generally find it in 420 round cans.