Factory ammo squib load event, 10/12/14

Erno86

I was at the 100 yard Barnes Range at Associated Gun Clubs at Marriottsville yesterday --- shooting my Krebs Custom KTR-03S AK47 IN 7.62X39 --- when I heard a slight pop from the TulAmmo round in the chamber of my AK. I bought 2 cases of the TulAmmo 7.62x39, 122 grain hollowpoint, {case lot number K32} about 3 months ago; and that was the first time I shot any TulAmmo Russian made round.

I removed the AK's magazine and ejected the primer fired round with the spent case spilling clumped gunpowder on my benchrest. I then realized I might have a squib load stuck in the barrel. I looked down in the muzzle and saw darkness. A fellow had a spare rod and pushed the squib out into the receiver.

I told another shooter about my squib event, and he told me to shake the round back n' forth too see an feel the free flowing powder in the round shake back forth.

Can this technique spot a squib load before it's fired, and is there any other technique besides pulling the bullet, to prevent such another event like the one I had yesterday?

Thanks,

Erno

Mobuck

"Can this technique spot a squib load before it's fired"
Probably not with 7.62x39 since they're pretty well filled with powder.

mete

Squib ---You may have no powder, less than proper amount of powder, defective powder , or bad primer . Any time you hear or feel different recoil or sound STOP immediately .Unload and check the bore for a bullet stuck in the barrel !!! Most of those you can't check for.You should also check for broken firing pin,dirt in the firing pin hole.If the gun is ok and you still have a problem, throw out the ammo of that box !! If you reload and have a problem throw out the primers .
If you carry for defence make a careful check of every round . Primer missing,primer sideways , primer upside down.Primer pocket missing primer hole missing ,extractor groove missing.Case damaged .Feed ammo through gun .
Yes this is mass production and occasionally things happen !! Ever have a gun just from the factory that is loaded ? It can happen !. :eek:

skizzums

not sure what powder tula uses, but yes, you can shake and hear the powder. but the biggest thing is just stop firing when you feel an odd recoil or lack of sound. squibs in a semi rifle seem like they would be less of an issue, because if there was no powder, you gun isn't going to cycle the next round anyways. and if you gun doesn't cycle, don't just reload the chamber without checking for an obstruction first.