Factory ammo for the Rem. 700 ltr in 308

VMUTH

Just wanted to get an idea from owners of the 700ltr as to which reasonably priced factory ammo gets you the best accuracy.

I have 2 custom loads my friend put together for me and still not getting good results. 1 is the 110 grain vmax and the other is the 150 grain winchester ballistic tips. (Black coat with grey tip)

Both are getting about a 2-3 inch group at 100 yds. The vmax poi is about a 1/2 inch higher than the ballistic tips at 100 yds.

What's been a good factory load for your rifle??

geetarman

First thing is get rid of the 110 and 150 gr. loads.

I have NEVER gotten decent groups with factory loads or handloads with bullets of that weight.

If you want to get some good factory ammo, try Federal Premium in 168 gr. bullets.

That is about as good as it gets with off the shelf ammo.

Better yet, MUCH BETTER YET, roll your own with either 168 gr. Noslers or 165-175 gr. Sierra Game King or Match King or 175 gr. Berger VLD.

Work up some loads with BLC(2) and you will find that rifle to come alive.

I have a Remington 700P and I have really tried to get 155 gr. bullets to work. Different powder, different seating depth, different charge weights.

My gun doesn't like them. So I feed it what it does like.

.432 five shot groups at 100 yards tells me what I need to know.

There are many loads in current manuals that provide data for .308 and thise weight bullets.

If you do not reload, perhaps you can ask a friend to load some for you.

I am betting you will be happy with the Federal. It is good ammo.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you, please.

Geetarman:D

grubbylabs

I am not an expert but I have been told by a few people who are that 165-168 is optimal for the 308

Mine likes 165

What is the twist rate of your barrel? .308 usually comes in 1 in 10 twist which would suggest that the heavier 165-175gr bullets will shoot better.

Tim R

If you want to get some good factory ammo, try Federal Premium in 168 gr. bullets.

Make that Federal Gold Match. If I'm doing my part the Federal GM will give me 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards out of the LTR. If I'm having a bad day 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards, no problem.

Save your brass. A pretty common load for the 308 is 42.0 grains of IMR 4064 with a 168 SMK on top and started with a Federal gold match primer.

My LTR didn't start shooting until I had about 360 rounds down the tube.

Since I do shoot a service rifle in 308 once in awhile, I'm at some what of an avantage with match grade dies.

Last edited:

rottieman33

I shot 150gr bullets out of my Remmington 700 and can hit clays at 1000 feet and never had a problem if i I go with 160-180gr is when i run into problems. Also weather has a factor in it to. I live in NH right now its 30-40 deg out side the first 5 rounds i shot will be way off until barrel warms up. this picture was down at 300 feet with the 150gr Nosler CT bullets(black with gray tip).

Last edited:

geetarman

Rottie,

Are you shooting factory loads or your own? If you are rolling your own, could you share your load data?

I am always willing to try something new.

geetarman

Rottie,

Thank you. The term "roll your own" is something I heard as a kid. My grandparents were smokers and if they didn't have money for "taylor mades" ( factory smokes) they used pouch tobacco and "rolled their own."

I load most of my ammo. . .hence the term.

grubbylabs

Min is a 165 grain Speer BTSP with 43 grains of IMR 4064 and Rem 9 1/2 primer in Winchester Brass. I load to the Speer COL

trooper3385

The Federal Gold Match 168 gr will probably by the most accurate out of your LTR. The LTR that I have will put them just about in the same hole. I have yet to match it with my reloads. I've also heard the 168 gr Black Hills ammo is just about up to par with the Federal and a little cheaper, however I have not tried them yet. The LE distributor that i order ammo from has the Federal for $12 a box, so I'll just stick with that. Thats pretty hard to beat. When I first got the gun, all I had in stock was some 150 gr Remington corelokts and even with that, I was getting 3/4 in. groups. Heck, I got an 8 in. group at 600 yds with the corelokts.

Not an LTR.. But this is a Remington 700 .308.. Federal Gold Medal 168 grain Sierra Matchkings.. 100 yards... Dime for scale

012.jpg